You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/01/2018 7:39 am  #18

Re: Unlostify Maps Are Now Available! =D

Very happy with the Kawartha highlands and the killarney maps. Kicking myself for not ordering the french river one too, next order soon.

I remember reading either here or on myccr that you were also going to release them on some avenza type platform...is that still in the works Jeff?

looking forward to the Algonquin.

I think you've outdone yourself on these maps. At first I didn't like the time markers but they're actually a big improvement as they are very easy to see and count. If you just open the map and look at it they obviously make no sense but as soon as you understand it....boom. Plus the trip versus plan maps...genius.

great job to you and Deki.

6/03/2018 9:16 pm  #19

Woohoo! I'm glad!! :D

iOS/Android App - Yup, it's still in the works. Sorry for the delay - we were hoping to have it done earlier. The hope is that we'll have it for later this month

Times - Yea, there a bunch of benefits to the blocks in my mind:
-It's lottt easier to make adjustments if you're faster or slower, etc (since you can just change the number of blocks you count per hour rather than doing a bunch of multiplication)
-It's a lot faster and to add a bunch of them together (since our brains have evolved to be way more efficient at counting vs adding numbers)
-It's a lot easier to compare times at a glance (since longer times take are physically larger on the map)
-They're useful if you're wondering how long a segment of a route line will take (e.g. if you're wondering 'how long until the next portage?' mid-trip)

Haha, ironically enough the fact that they don't mean anything until you read the legend is, in our minds at least, a bonus.

It comes down to the fact that although the system is pretty darn simple, there are still some assumptions baked in - notably, your average portaging and padding speed, and the number of carries you do on each portage.

With preprinted times it's entirely possible for a brand new paddler to look at the times on the map and use them without any thought. Which would be... bad... 

(Yes, this has happened many, many times before unfortunately)

There's certainly a learning curve to them (at first I had the same reaction as you actually!), but hopefully it's fairly short and the benefits outweigh the few minutes it takes to learn the new system

Would love any additional feedback you might have on the Plan side in particular by the way! It's full of new ideas, and so getting a sense of what people like/don't like, find useful/don't find useful, find confusing, etc is always 

Thanks so much for your kind words!

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

4/10/2019 10:17 am  #20

I thought I would resurrect this thread...I was on the unlostify site looking for an Algonquin map...any update on one being released?

4/10/2019 10:24 am  #21

Jeff.....good news please!!!!

4/10/2019 12:21 pm  #22

Go to the Facebook page. Last I saw they were planning on a late April release. 

4/10/2019 4:12 pm  #23

Working on it as we speak :D

Yea, as Paddlerunner mentioned we've been aiming for end of April or early May. Will probably be early May.

But the good news is that we're almost done! Just putting the finishing touches on it at this point

4/10/2019 6:10 pm  #24

Wonderful - My copies of Jeff's map need replacing...!  I made  choice a long time ago not to sign up for facebook...from what I see now, glad I did...

4/10/2019 6:48 pm  #25

jeffreym wrote:

Yea, as Paddlerunner mentioned we've been aiming for end of April or early May. Will probably be early May.

But the good news is that we're almost done! Just putting the finishing touches on it at this point

May 8th Jeff!

4/11/2019 8:37 am  #26

@Shawn - We’re planning to go away on the 11th, so I’m with you on that! :D

4/11/2019 11:02 am  #27

jeffreym wrote:

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/17/2019 6:42 am  #28

ShawnD wrote:

jeffreym wrote:

Jeff the anticipation of this AND ice out this year is too much for my anxious "wanna get canoeing" brain

And yes just TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY!!

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

5/03/2019 9:48 am  #29

@jeffreym

The suspense is killing me!!! I am assuming no way they are done before next weekend sir?

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

5/03/2019 10:55 am  #30

Me too! Haha, that’s the problem with being so close, but not quite done.

Nope it won’t be ready for next weekend unfortunately

5/03/2019 11:34 am  #31

Completely understand sir! Well atleast if you're away as well I wont miss the release! ;)

Have a great trip!

5/06/2019 9:56 am  #32

Just used the Kawartha one for the last few days. I like its clarity (easy to see) and topo lines. But I don't like that there are no lake elevations. I totally thought that Turtle would be lower than Cherry/Triangle. I thought it would be going south, like Stoplog does.

5/06/2019 11:53 am  #33

In terms of the flow direction?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.