You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2019 4:54 pm  #1

Catfish Lake Best Route In

This is a lake I'd like to visit. It appears many of you reach it in a number of different ways. My question is this: assuming I am going in May and that I can drive to any access point in the park (N,S,E,W and inc. via Opeongo water taxi), what is the fastest route to reach Catfish (i.e. least amount of time)? The shortest (km?) The route that's most efficient /  'best' from a portage perspective (i.e. defined as some combination of number, total length, difficulty of portages etc.)? Most 'scenic'? Many thanks! Can't wait 'till spring

3/29/2019 5:49 pm  #2

Re: Catfish Lake Best Route In

I’d say that going in from Cedar along the Petawawa is probably the fastest and shortest, although someone who’s done the Nippissing route may know otherwise. The Pet route is pretty scenic, two big waterfalls, some history and a nice paddle. It’s also got Unicorn Hill, which is a pretty challenging portage no matter which direction you’re going. But, even with Unicorn Hill it’s definitely doable to get from Cedar to Catfish in one day, so that may be your best option.

3/29/2019 8:44 pm  #3

I paddled Cedar to Catfish last fall, part of a ten day solo.  First time in the area.  The first two portages (715m) and (300m) are  the tallest falls in the park, it was really pretty.  I'd love to see them with the higher water levels in the Spring. 
As already mentioned the 2345m portage up Unicorn Hill was a bit of a grind.  Travelling solo with the double carry I left Brent Campground around 8:30 am and arrived at the south end of Catfish around 5 pm.  Supper and an evening fire...and a toast to Unicorn Hill!

4/03/2019 5:11 pm  #4

Cedar to Catfish is your best bet.  I've gone down the Nipissing, and I don't see how it could be less work.  Don't let Unicorn Hill scare you. It's a gradual uphill, and then a gradual downhill.  It's just long-ish.  Otherwise it's a nice route to Catfish.  Your biggest concern should be water temperature and weather crossing Cedar in May.

4/04/2019 8:53 am  #5

I have been over the Unicorn Hill multiple times in my life... you learn to love it. For me it is the gateway into some of my favourite lakes in the park (Catfish / Burntroot / Whiskey Jack) . I would suggest double carrying to the top of the Hill if you are coming from Cedar. Once at the top, we have been able to single carry the rest without issues. 

When on Catfish the Shangri La island is nice... but it does indeed have roaches. I prefer the site on the point on the east shore directly across from the Island. 

Have a good trip!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.