You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2019 8:52 pm  #1

Tim Lake, Big Bob Lake and the start of the Nip

Hi,  I was wondering if anyone has canoed out of Tim Lake north to Big Bob Lake and down the Nip towards Hi Dam?  I would be travelling solo and I am just looking for some solitude, perhaps a route less travelled but still doable.  
Are the sites on Big Bob lake half decent?  Also is the Nipissing at that point passable?
Thanks!

3/30/2019 6:22 am  #2

Re: Tim Lake, Big Bob Lake and the start of the Nip

I think there was another thread recently posted on this topic so you may want to check that. Several people have commented on the easternmost site on Big Bob. I stayed there back in 2013 doing this route; nice rock shelf out to the water, great view. The Nip from Big Bob down to High Dam will certainly provide solitude and it's beautiful. Just beware you're going into alder country that can be very thick and difficult to get through in certain areas. Water level makes a difference too. I did it in June which was great for water, BAD for bugs!! 

Check out trip logs of this section, either linked to or posted on the main AA site. Before going I read one by Tripper, who had done this section, then circled up Loontail Creek etc to Rosebary and onward. I seem to recall his made it sound much easier than I found it LOL. Then Peek has a fantastic 16-day trip log that started at West Koko Pond--a great read that I thoroughly recommend. But then I'm biased, as the section of the Park he travelled on that trip is my very favourite. 

​Hope this helps. 

3/31/2019 7:07 pm  #3

I've soloed Tim - Big Bob - Loontail Jctn - Rosebary - out at Tim. There are 2 good sites on B Bob, and one less good. I like the one on the point (west). Some muddy portages getting there. River travel is easy. For a lot of it, you don't need a paddle because you're just pulling yourself through alders, sometimes in the boat and sometimes out. When I went, Latour creek was impossible to paddle for about 300 metres before the portage actually started. 

4/01/2019 10:21 am  #4

Here is the link to a video on a similar trip I took in 2018. Excellent part of the park, minus the section of the Nip west of Grass Lake. Doable, but it takes a while! 

the sites on Big Bob are good, and a nice beach on the East side. Site on Rosebary on the SE shore is also nice.

https://youtu.be/x6N_TOIgePU

Last edited by Evan Briden (4/01/2019 10:26 am)

4/02/2019 6:22 am  #5

Thanks Evan!
I stumbled upon your videos just before you posted a reply.  Looks like your group had a great time.  Thanks again!

4/02/2019 2:04 pm  #6

2 years ago I took a crew to the west end of Big Bob.  The site way down on the point was pretty nice, and we were worried about drainage on the eastern one.  Easy to get in when we went, the black lines were easy to follow and free of large blow downs.

Here's a vid with a site walkthrough: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sPU9KesyxQM

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.