You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2019 4:51 pm  #1

Cell Reception

Do any of the front country campgrounds have cell reception? Thinking of Pog or Rock Lake in particular.

Thanks!

3/20/2019 6:48 am  #2

Re: Cell Reception

Most of the campgrounds along highway 60 have cell coverage to one extent or another, but Rock is far enough off the highway that I'm pretty sure it doesn't. 

3/20/2019 6:58 am  #3

Rock Lake only has cell coverage in the immediate vicinity of the campground office. 

3/20/2019 9:38 am  #4

I'm fairly certain you'll be able to get reception at Pog. I'll bow to others on the Rock Lake campground since I haven't visited that one. I've gotten reception at the Rock end of the Rock/Louisa portage, but I'm guessing that's not a constant. Maybe the cell reception gnomes were particularly enthusiastic that day.

Actually, that's a good question, what's the deepest into the Park you've gotten reception? I've gotten a signal on White Trout.

3/20/2019 9:55 am  #5

I got reception on White Trout as well. One bar, enough for a phone call but had a hard time loading a webpage.

I got one bar on Sunbeam as well, but it was stronger and actually let me watch a YouTube video (not the best connection but it worked)

I got one bar at the island on Clydegale. Similar to White Trout I was able to make a phone call but webpages had difficulty loading.

Head Lake as well I got signal.

Last year I went to Linda and Sproule and had pretty strong signal on both (granted they’re closer to the Hwy). Was able to send a 3min video message from Linda Lake.

I’m hoping this trend doesn’t continue. It’s nice to have cell service, but it’s much nicer not to have it

There will always be the inevitable debate though about safety vs. keeping the true wilderness experience.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

3/20/2019 11:38 am  #6

trippythings wrote:

There will always be the inevitable debate though about safety vs. keeping the true wilderness experience.

True. I don't mind the expanding coverage for the safety reasons you mentioned above, but at the same time I know I'd be annoyed if they suddenly dropped a cell tower on Big Trout. Maybe if there were a way to restrict the type of reception to telephone only or something. Let's people call for help if they're in a jam but doesn't leave you listening to someone's Netflix binge.

7/07/2019 6:10 am  #7

There is cell service on White Trout, Big Trout, Merchant, Happy Isle, Big Crow I think is spotty, Ralph Bice has service in areas believe it or not, I recently made a phone call in the middle of KIOSK which is unheard of, I even got service on Allan Lake this spring. LTE on Head, Harness, decent service on Louisa, Phipps, Kirkwood, Bonnechere, etc. Getting to be a bit much if you ask me..

7/07/2019 7:18 am  #8

ATVenture wrote:

Getting to be a bit much if you ask me..

LOL then stop checking for service!

7/22/2019 10:48 am  #9

just spent 4 nights at POG ... no issue with cell reception at all. 

7/22/2019 12:16 pm  #10

My friend was able to get one bar on the east arm of Opeongo at the beginning of the portage to Wright lake, though it was spotty.  Good enough to receive the occasional text from his wife.  Fortunately, I didn't get any reception ;-) 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.