You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2019 10:44 am  #1

MSR Trailshot .. very small water filter.

Has anyone got experience with this item .. a hand-squeezable water filter by MSR .. the "Trailshot"?

There's a video promoting it at .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKjSWkR39M4

3/02/2019 5:50 pm  #2

Re: MSR Trailshot .. very small water filter.

I have one Barry.

It is a good item to leave in your thwart bag or wherever for a quick drink when travelling.

I even tried to use it as my only water filter on a solo trip to cut weight but found the effort to get the required water for camp to be too much.

Again good for traveling instead of hauling out your whole gravity filter or whatever system you use.

I would rate the system MartinG put me onto as superior though.

You can see that system here. 

It’s lighter, good for drinks while traveling and you could use it as your sole filter for camp imo. 

https://youtu.be/Xc2pJIjcM-0

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

3/11/2019 1:14 pm  #3

While I do not have direct experience with this MSR filter, a friend of mine did have one and he thought it was just okay, It did seem a little slow, and you have to pump the whole time, I personally think there are better options..
I had a Sweetwater guardian for quite a few years and it worked relatively well, the filter ended up freezing on a trip and I gave up on it.  I had read and saw a lot of information on the Sawyer Squeeze and Sawyer mini. I now have both and have setup the squeeze with a Coleman shower bag with filter inline as a gravity filter setup when I am with groups or with its own squeeze bag if I am solo.  I also used my sawyer mini inline on a hydration bladder for adventure races over 8 hours. Each setup works great and I have had zero issues in 4 years of using the Squeeze as a gravity filter and my mini worked flawlessly in a 4 day adventure race last summer in Maine / New Hampshire.   They are cheap and can be picked up at various places. I bought mine at a US Walmart, Good luck!

3/11/2019 3:50 pm  #4

I love the Sawyer mini. I screw it to an empty 1 liter perrier bottle with a hole in the bottom and tie it upside down to act as a gravity filter. A second perrier bottle is used to fill it up. Cheap, light, and effective.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.