You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/25/2019 11:50 am  #1

Advice needed from kayak campers

My outdoor adventures typically revolve around backpacking (often solo), but I have done some canoeing in the past. Most notably, my wife, best friend and I did a loop from Kawawaymog staying at North Tea, Lorne, Fassett and Manitou lakes in 2017. I really loved that trip, and since then have had the itch to do a solo kayak trek. I'm considering somewhere in Algonquin in the late spring and am looking for advice. I live in the GTA and go to Algonquin via Hwy 11, and I would like to keep my first trip a bit on the shorter side, say 3 or 4 days. Having said that, I have some questions:

What are some good routes? I'm looking for something relatively easy, safe and quiet (I really like my solitude!). I'm not afraid of portages, but would prefer to keep them simple for a first run. Loops are always fun, but I wouldn't object to a nice out and back either.

As for equipment, I have access to a Pelican RamX kayak which I've paddled in and feel comfortable with. I know it's a cheapie though and I'm wondering if I'd be better off renting? Being relatively new to this, stability would be an important factor for me... Plus I would need to have an effective way to portage it.

I'm pretty good in the lightweight backcountry skills, but if you have any further tips with respect to the kayaking element that would be great. Last time we went canoeing I tied a small watertight bag on my life vest that included my SPOT and waterproof matches and would definitely do this again. My wife is a bit concerned about the thought of me alone on the water as well, so anything to alleviate her concerns would be nice

Cheers,

Rich

Last edited by hiker72 (2/25/2019 11:51 am)

2/25/2019 2:09 pm  #2

Re: Advice needed from kayak campers

I'm not a kayak camper, but I will say that one of the times I was on Clydegale Lake, I saw two separate solo kayak campers. It makes sense because there's only 2 short portages to get there from Rock Lake, and it offers a lot of privacy considering it's very rarely used as a through lake (so the only traffic is people camping on the lake). Seems like a pretty good there-and-back first trip option. It's a route I recommend to a lot of people regardless since you have nice campsites, waterfalls on route, day hike at Booths Rock Trail, etc.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

2/25/2019 3:31 pm  #3

I would second the Clydegale route. Great area. Short ports as mentioned, lots to see and good privacy. Have done this route before and very much enjoyed it. Canoe to Burnt Island would be decent too IMO with the added security of high traffic area. Although more portaging to get through. Also if you choose to put in at Canoe Tom Thomson is  a nice east to get to destination for a 1 st time solo trip. 

2/25/2019 4:05 pm  #4

I've never used a kayak in canoe country but I would consider trying to take advantage of the kayak's faster speed on open water. Perhaps Access 1 with a couple of short portages before you reach some very big lakes that can provide the solitude you seek.

2/26/2019 7:30 am  #5

Thanks for your replies. It's kind of funny because I was debating whether to start at Kawawaymog or Rock Lake for our 2017 trip and settled on the former. It's nice to hear that the Rock/Pen/Clydegale option is a good one, along with North Tea/Manitou and its offshoots.

2/26/2019 9:52 pm  #6

I would check out Uppa's channel he has been to all areas of the park and has done it all in his Kayak.
http://www.youtube.com/user/kayakcamper

2/27/2019 9:44 am  #7

Thanks R2 - I just checked out his youtube channel. Wow, he's got a lot of good stuff posted there (thanks Uppa!!)

Last edited by hiker72 (2/27/2019 10:08 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.