You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/17/2018 6:19 am  #1

Barron Canyon in Mid-September

Hey everyone,

I went to the Barron Canyon in September with some buddies from work. I love that part of the Park, hands down my favorite area (so far). Here’s the trip report.

https://allofalgonquin.com/2018/10/16/the-barron-canyon-threepeat/

Drew

10/17/2018 2:19 pm  #2

Re: Barron Canyon in Mid-September

Drew - I always enjoy your entertaining TR's, and this one is no exception.  Thanks for posting.

I'm also glad you're beginning to appreciate Ooze Lake a little more, although mid-September is not the best time for checking out wetland plants.  I think the local flora peak some time in late June when the bugs are at their worst (from the human point of view, but best for flowers since they have to get pollinated somehow ).

Last edited by dcmcelroy (10/17/2018 2:20 pm)

10/17/2018 6:53 pm  #3

Thank you Diana!

I’ll have to check Ooze out next spring to get the full effect. Even without the plants being in full bloom I enjoyed this visit more than the last one for some reason. Well, probably because it was the start of the day this time instead of the end of it.

Last edited by AlgonquinLakes (10/17/2018 6:59 pm)

10/18/2018 7:32 am  #4

Thanks!! My favourite part of the park also!

10/25/2018 3:25 pm  #5

Drew - have you camped in the canyon? Worth looking at, or better off going in and out same day?

10/25/2018 8:43 pm  #6

I camped in the canyon years ago. I really enjoyed it, had a great spot. Recently I’ve been doing day trips into the canyon and camping closer to High Falls because I’m usually in with people who Haven’t done much tripping and I find the fewer fully loaded portages the better. But you can’t go wrong with either option, IMO.

Last edited by AlgonquinLakes (10/25/2018 8:43 pm)

2/18/2022 10:57 pm  #7

Lmao, what an informative and entertaining TR...still laughing! Ty

2/19/2022 5:58 pm  #8

Thanks GoneagainJon! Glad you liked it. I went and reread it after seeing your comment and it brought back a bunch of great memories, so thank you for the prompt!

Also, I had totally forgotten that last summer's water sliding water snake at High Falls wasn't my first run-in with a bunch of snakes in the area. Apparently water snakes are just a thing in that part of the Park?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.