You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/20/2018 7:47 am  #1

Chainsaw?

I'm hoping this doesn't cause a huge debate, but I'm wondering if anyone uses a chainsaw in the park for processing wood?  I see on the park rules that you cannot use a chainsaw between April 1 and Thanksgiving.   I do the majority of my camping in the back country outside of those dates and many times with my dad (who is 72).  Especially in the winter, I find I spend a TON of time processing wood so the thought came to us that perhaps using a chainsaw would make that process a lot faster and easier (I also have a terrible back so processing wood takes its toll).

Am I out to lunch on this or does anyone else use a chainsaw during those months?

9/20/2018 9:24 am  #2

Re: Chainsaw?

That rule had come up in some conversation last winter, which was the first time I'd heard about it. 

I'm fairly lazy in the winter and spend time at the cottage rather than winter camping. We do cut a fair bit of wood for the cottage. I've got 2 saws that we use. Both are Stihl's and if I was picking one for a winter camping trip I'd go with the smaller one. The current equivalent would be the MS 170.

https://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/Chain-saws-and-pole-pruners/Gas-chain-saws-for-property-maintenance/2212-110/MS-170.aspx

The smallest saw out there should be plenty big enough for what you would be cutting for winter camping and you definitely want to keep the size and weight down. I would also recommend sticking to a gas saw as current battery technology doesn't hold up well in cold temps. 

9/20/2018 5:07 pm  #3

I'm sure that chainsaw would be handy but I find that cutting the wood is only about a third of the work of processing wood. I find I expend a lot of energy just finding good wood, hauling it back, and chopping it up. Something to think about it you want to lug a 9 pound chainsaw plus fuel. My preference is to us a 2 pound 36" bowsaw with a Bahco blade. 

9/21/2018 6:34 am  #4

solos wrote:

My preference is to us a 2 pound 36" bowsaw with a Bahco blade. 

I have the same. I used to have one of the little collapsable ones, but found cutting wood tedious. When it died I bought a giant 30 inch saw. It cuts way faster. Still have a smaller saw for hiking trips, but late season canoe trips and winter backcountry trips the big saw comes out.

That said, I have often wondered if a battery powered reciprocal saw would be ok. A battery of two would give enough juice to process the majority, if not all of the wood over a long weekend in a couple minutes.

9/21/2018 7:08 am  #5

solos wrote:

That said, I have often wondered if a battery powered reciprocal saw would be ok. A battery of two would give enough juice to process the majority, if not all of the wood over a long weekend in a couple minutes.

I use a Ryobi cordless recip with the smaller size LI batteries to help with "stand improvement" projects in the woods around my house. One full battery is good for cutting four or five smallish live hardwood trees (eg. thick as my forearm). Then it is dead weight. With dry, dead softwood, you would likely get more cutting time. If you don't have one already, get a tree-cutting blade, makes a big difference.

9/21/2018 8:16 am  #6

I'll 2nd Gord's recommendation of a pruning blade. It makes a huge difference. I'll also note that LI battery performance degrades considerably as temperatures drop. They are pretty good up around freezing, but pretty much useless by the time you're down around -16C. 

9/21/2018 8:28 am  #7

Thanks for the insight guys...I'd certainly want something good in cold winter conditions.  I've only ever used a small foldable saw and man that can get tiring when you're prepping wood for an outdoor fire, and a night fire for the hot tent and then another pile of wood for the morning!

9/21/2018 10:26 am  #8

For the same price as a small chainsaw, you can get one these bad boys. Only you will run out gas. I demoed one at the OAS, cut through hardwood like a hot knife through butter:

Silky Katana Boy

Last edited by Gord Baker (9/21/2018 10:27 am)

9/21/2018 2:23 pm  #9

That's a nice looking saw.  You think it warrant's the price tag Gord?

9/22/2018 4:49 pm  #10

Steve E wrote:

That's a nice looking saw.  You think it warrant's the price tag Gord?

My short experience with the saw gave me the impression that the thing was very high quality and, to be honest, I was surprised at how easily it cut. So, to answer your question, yes. It is a lifetime tool purchase and if you think you'll use it a lot, why not? Chainsaws have their advantages but the Silky is quiet, will always start and is much more packable (though it is a whopper of a folding saw).

It wasn't in APP, but I've been on a canoe trip with a chainsaw. We were cutting new portages and re-opening old ones that hadn't been used in 35 years. Couldn't have done the route without it. And it did come in handy for firewood a few times. Here's Bob looking for some sign of the original portage:

1/19/2019 8:24 pm  #11

I have the exact chainsaw that RobW has linked to.  It works well and i love it for winter camping, especially the back country of APP. It makes processing wood a breeze.

Having said that, if you have deep pockets i would recommend the even lighter MS 150 arborist saw. It's a one hander and will cut anything you would need for hot tenting or cold tenting.

https://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/Chain-saws-and-pole-pruners/Arborist-chain-saws/238147-1528/MS-193-T.aspx

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.