You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/25/2018 2:49 pm  #1

High Falls Area (Little Bonnechere River)

Just looking at Jeffs Map in the area of the hike to High Falls along the Little Bonnechere River...I see a green dotted road/trail that seems to follow the river on the north side, just north of the trail itself.  Has anyone explored this area past High Falls?  Is that trail/road walk able?  Looks like you could take it all the way up past Crooked Chute?

8/26/2018 4:10 pm  #2

Re: High Falls Area (Little Bonnechere River)

If Jeff's Map has it as a green dotted line then I would bet that it is 100% walkable. I tried to view that road with Google satellite view but i couldn't pick it out from the multitudes of other roads that were visible in that area. In my limited experience, if you can make it out on Google satellite then it will be an easy "Walk in the Park", even if you were wearing a canoe hat. 

8/27/2018 8:23 am  #3

I walked to High Falls a few years ago and the old road was easy to follow. Listen for the sound of the falls (or there may be a sign). I tried finding the falls many winters ago, but had trouble because ice over the water deadens the sound. I ended up following the trail for quite some distance before tirning back. I do not think it possible to follow the trail to Crooked Chute (shown as High Falls on top maps).
If you are interested in exploring the Little Bonnechere and its history I suggest you get  and read Spirits of the Little Bonnechere, Second Edition, from The Friends of Algonquin Park. It is a history focusing on that river. They might have Walks of the Little Bonnechere too, but I think that is on-line as well.
I gather the Basin Road is being used for log hauling now, and that may still be the case in the fall.

8/27/2018 9:26 am  #4

Thanks for the replies guys.  We're going to be staying on Sec Lake but we're thinking about doing a day trip from there and exploring this area along Basin Lake Rd for the day...

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.