You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/17/2018 7:06 am  #1

June Kayak Solo - Lake Louisa Loop (video, 1 of 2)

I've been spending my summer doing summer things rather than working on trip videos. But I'm headed into the park again in a few days, and I realized that I'm soon to be three camping trips worth of videos behind, and figured I'd best get started on the backlog. 

This was a quick one-nighter in early June through the Louisa loop. This video covers Rock to Louisa, the second video will be looping through Welcome, Pen etc. and back out to the access point. Hope you enjoy it!

8/17/2018 3:24 pm  #2

Re: June Kayak Solo - Lake Louisa Loop (video, 1 of 2)

One of my favourite sites! The views are just breathtaking, and the fact that its elevated only helps. Perfect site for someone that likes to watch both sunrise and sunset like me. A couple sheltered tent spot options and a couple more exposed scenic options.. decent enough fire pit. Extremely spacious thunder box area. But that west facing rock is incredible for swimming and lounging. I stayed there on a sunny mid-summer day when water levels were pretty low so more of the rock was exposed... it was perfect.

This is my pic from 2 years ago, you can see the low water levels.. oh, and where the marker used to be ;) 

https://s8.postimg.cc/b8ewygw1h/IMG_7585.jpg

From this report in case you're interested: http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/posting.php?mode=edit&f=108&t=45237&p=412929

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/20/2018 7:26 am  #3

Great video Bob,

Brought back memories of hiding in my own tent that same weekend a hundred km or so north of you.  I’m curious, how many steps did the Louisa portage end up being?

8/20/2018 10:24 am  #4

I recently purchased apple TV and have been watching your videos on my television.

SO MUCH BETTER!!!

I don't always comment but I love your reports------ Keep 'em coming 

8/20/2018 3:42 pm  #5

@trippythings: yes, it's a stunning campsite. I've been on Louisa before, so I have no idea why that site had never registered itself in my memory. Sadly the bugs did stop me from enjoying it as much as I should have. Will definitely read your trip report, but I'm off to the park again in two days and I'm scrambling to get ready. 

@AlgonquinLakes: the Louisa portage is really super, super tame. You can take huge strides pretty much everywhere which makes the distance just disappear. As to total steps - no idea. I didn't count the first stretch at all or if I did, I already forgot it. Maybe I've got the number on a video somewhere. As to the bugs, next year I'm taking more gear specifically for the bugs. If I'm going to be out there in June, I want to be able to sit on my campsite (not in my tent!) and actually enjoy myself. 

@oldboyscout: Hah! I'm not sure I'd want to see myself in HD, but as long as you're happy I'm happy ;). Glad you enjoy my videos!

8/20/2018 6:24 pm  #6

Agree on the bug gear. I picked up one of those big box bug shelters and I’m almost looking forward to bug season to try it out. Almost.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.