You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/13/2018 1:45 pm  #1

Lost, Found and RETURNED on Kitty to Booth Lake Portage

I just got back from a weekend trip to Booth Lake with my two boys and friend with his two boys.  It was the first backcountry trip for the boys and it couldn't have gone better.

During the controlled chaos of the portage from Kitty to Booth Lake, I forgot that I had left the safety kit at the stern of the canoe.  When flipping the canoe on to my shoulders the kit fell out.  It wasn't until we made it to our campsite that I had realized it was gone and where I had left it.  On the way out we were hoping to spot it hanging from a tree but no luck.  With my tail between my legs, I explained to the lady at Algonquin Bound what I had done and happily paid the $15 for a replacement.  When I got back to Ottawa, there was a message on my phone from Algonquin Bound saying that someone had turned in the safety kit and that they were going to refund me the replacement cost. 

I want to thank the person who found the kit and returned it and to Algonquin Bound for making the effort to refund the cost.  It just goes to show that the Algonquin Park "Community" is a group of great people that share a passion for backcountry adventure.

8/13/2018 1:51 pm  #2

Re: Lost, Found and RETURNED on Kitty to Booth Lake Portage

I love this story! I returned with an extra safety kit to an outfitter back in July and they thanked me and told me they'd refund the person who had lost it. I was just pleased to be able to return some useable gear and it was bonus to hear I had saved someone $15.

We all make mistakes sometimes so it's nice when we can help each other out. 

8/13/2018 9:49 pm  #3

That's cool.  Some good people out there.

All I found on my last trip was a LOT of old socks, hats, a pair of burned-out pants and a pair of panties.

8/14/2018 5:46 am  #4

The number of socks was high this year, I wonder if it's due to the fire ban. 

Does anyone know why people discard socks in the backcountry? Seems silly. 

8/15/2018 10:09 pm  #5

In regards to finding so many socks, I've often wondered if people leave them because they were wet and didn't want to have anything wet inside their dry bags. Regardless, it's really annoying.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.