You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/27/2018 6:55 am  #1

Moose sighting Opportunities

Anyone know if there's decent Moose sighting opportunities along the McManus to Whitson lake stretch ?  or in that general area?

I know its really a stretch of the Petawawa river but it's not a small river like the Crow so I'm not sure that there's as much for them to munch on along the river ... I'm looking for that early morning or late evening moose sighting opportunity ...

Thanks

Last edited by Dead_Weight (DW) (7/27/2018 7:38 am)

7/27/2018 8:16 am  #2

Re: Moose sighting Opportunities

Yeah we saw one at the upstream end of Whitson our first night there. I can't really say if you're any more or less likely to find a moose there relative to anywhere else in the park but they are around. 

7/27/2018 9:49 am  #3

Thanks Rob ... I've seen them a lot along the Crow ... but it has the typical vegetation growing on the sides of the river ...

I've been to Sec a number of times but never went looking in the AM there for any ... you seen any in that area ?

Like to give my kids a chance to see one from the canoe  ...

7/27/2018 2:42 pm  #4

Isn't hunting permitted in most of the east side of the park?  If so, that would make them more skittish and wary...and less likely to find and get close to.

7/27/2018 3:58 pm  #5

I haven't been in to Sec. I've thought about heading there but haven't made it yet. 

7/27/2018 6:05 pm  #6

We spotted a moose from a distance on Sec back in May.  It was in the marshy area beside the portage to Wet Lake.

7/27/2018 8:58 pm  #7

That's pretty cool UpTheCreek.  I've been to the Sand Lake area and Sec Lake specifically a ton of times with my kids and have never seen moose.  On the east side, we saw a moose on Travers once, and earlier this spring on Booth Lake near McCarthy Creek.  (Booth is a nice trip with kids; a decent adventure without it being too far and difficult)

7/30/2018 8:47 am  #8

I have heard a lot of good things about Booth ... It's hard for me and the kids because we want to try someplace new but always really enjoy Sec .. and its very convenient. 

Speaking of the Sec area  ... I have never portaged to either of the adjoining lakes ... anyone think it's worth checking out ? 

7/30/2018 10:02 am  #9

So just to expand this topic a bit ... where in the park has the best "canoe" moose spotting opportunities?

I have seen them paddling from opeongo to Big Crow ... crow river to lavielle. Dickson.  I know that Tim is pretty good ... any other places?  

7/30/2018 12:39 pm  #10

[edit] Hailstorm  [/edit] Creek off Opeongo is supposed to have the highest density of moose anywhere in the world. 

Last edited by RobW (7/30/2018 3:31 pm)

7/30/2018 2:44 pm  #11

The Nip upstream from Cedar Lake has some prime real estate...and is relatively easy to access from Ottawa.  

7/31/2018 6:40 am  #12

If you are canoeing through marshy areas and see that lily pads have been bitten off, leaving only the stems, there are moose in the area. Lily pads are a favorite food and moose like to stay in the water where bugs can't get at them and feed there.

I agree that the moose hunt has made them less visible, so areas west of the Shirley road should be better for sightings. 

https://www.ontario.ca/page/algonquin-land-claim-harvesting-maps

Near Hwy 60. the Madawaska runs through marshy areas west of LOTR and so does Costello creek south of Opeongo... Costello creek is interesting since you can observe moose from the cliffs on the Opeongo lookout with binoculars or a spotting scope. No guarantee you'll see moose but there's still the view and the sunset.

PS... another place to try near Hwy 60 could be Mud Bay north of the Whitney access point... lots of wetland area there..

Last edited by frozentripper (7/31/2018 7:17 am)

8/04/2018 9:21 am  #13

I just got back from a trip in the Cedar area.  I watched a moose eat lunch on the side of Longer Lake a few days ago.  I've had no luck with moose the two times I've been on the Nip.  I also had some hopes to spot one on Otterslide Creek, Crow River, and Little Madawaska on this last trip, but no such luck.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.