You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/29/2018 3:45 pm  #1

Input and advice for a short canoe-trip (1 night backcountry)

Hello everyone,

I´m planning a little canoe-trip for my daughter (8 y/o) and me at the end of August. We are both beginners (just had a few half-day-experiences) and would have this as a short but important part of our Ontario-vacation. So it would be okay, to camp just one night at the backcountry.
I prefer the following routes, because I try to avoid long portages and too many kilometres (okay, my little Charlotte would avoid it):

1.    Access point: Canoe Lake; sleeping at Tepee
2.    Access point: Canoe Lake; sleeping at Little Joe
3.    Access point: Smoke Lake; sleeping at Ragged
4.    Access point: Cache Lake; sleeping at Little Island

What is your opinion about them? Which would you prefer – considering to (a bit of) backcountry-feeling, good campsites and canoeing with a child? Do you have other suggestions?
Thanks for your input and advice!

Nicola

7/29/2018 6:11 pm  #2

Re: Input and advice for a short canoe-trip (1 night backcountry)

You should look at Rock --> Pen. Only one easy 375m portage, with a nice waterfall that you can check out midway through (as well as at the end of the portage on the Pen side, you can canoe around the corner and get a nice view of the falls from the rocks on top). Lots of nice campsites on Pen as well, most west facing so you get afternoon sun and a nice sunset view. While it is a very busy/popular area, it will still be quieter than camping near Canoe Lake.

If you have the time you can paddle to check out the falls at the Pen --> Clydegale portage (the Rock --> Pen falls are nicer though). And also if you have time you can hike Booth Rock trail on your way back... if you leave your canoe where the rail bed intersects the water (just east of the northern most campsite on Rock Lake), it will only be around 20-30min up and 20-30min down from the viewpoint.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

7/29/2018 7:50 pm  #3

Right off the bat I would eliminate options 1 and 2, because Tepee and Little Joe aren't really "backcountry" the way I use the word -- they have motorboats, cottages, summer camps and a resort. Little Island is a nicer option. Option 3, though it involves a long paddle down Smoke before getting into the backcountry, is nice because you could make it a loop, returning via Claude. Ragged Lake gets a lot of canoe traffic but it's "ragged" enough in shape that you'll often find campsites on secluded bays. 

I also like trippythings's idea, Pen Lake is a classic beginner canoe destination.

What direction are you driving from? There may be options outside the Highway 60 corridor that are just as convenient for you and less busy.

7/29/2018 9:05 pm  #4

With an 8-year old and not a lot of experience I would probably stay on the smaller lakes. Canoe and Smoke can get choppy. Some options would be:

1) Access #8 (Cache) to Tanamakoon:  No portages, a short trip but some motorboat traffic & noise from the camp

2) Continue through Tanamakoon into Little Island Lake. A nice quiet lake with only a short portage to get there. The southernmost site is the one to aim for.

3) Access #3 (Magnetawan) will give you access to sites on Magnetawan, Hambone, Little Eagle and Daisy Lakes. No or only short portages and Daisy offers a daytrip option down the Petawawa River.

Dave

7/30/2018 9:15 am  #5

Rock and Penn .. .good suggestion. 
For a bit more adventure you could take the water taxi up and camp on Opeongo ... really fun boat ride and very remote feeling.  The only downside is that it's a very remote feeling and depending on what campsite you have there might not be a lot of people around.  If you have never had a back country experience I would stick with Rock lake ... or perhaps Booth.

7/30/2018 9:18 am  #6

As a beginner travelling with a small child, who is unlikely to be of much help paddling, I would not recommend starting on Canoe Lake. It can be windy, rough and very busy. You may have chosen Canoe Lake because of the outfitting services available but there are other access points that are similarly developed that would be a much better option. You might consider a smaller lake where no portages are required to get to a site and you can explore a portage out of that lake as a day hike to get a sense of what it might be like to portage all of your gear on your next trip. If you would like more specific feedback provide more details about the reasons you are considering those routes and perhaps we can provide other options. Staying away/off of Canoe Lake appears to be a consistent theme. Good for you for taking the first step getting your daughter into the canoeing experience in Algonquin. It is a beautiful place for young people. 

7/30/2018 9:23 am  #7

A good option for one night that will definitely feel like back country is the Shall Lake Access Point and camping on Crotch Lake. No portages required, nice sites along with the south east shore of Crotch that are good for swimming and you can spend a day paddling around Crotch & Shall Lakes. If you want to explore further on the 2nd day you can paddle up through Farm. Overall it keeps you close to the access point, won't have the crowds you would get on Canoe, Smoke, etc. and are smaller lakes which means wind is generally less of an issue. 

7/30/2018 3:48 pm  #8

Hello again and
many thanks for the prompt answers! And now I try to reply everyone:

DanPM: “What direction are you driving from? There may be options outside the Highway 60 corridor that are just as convenient for you and less busy.”
-> The nights before our designated canoe-trip, we stay at the “Spring Lake Resort Motel” (Dwight), 19 km from the Western Entrance. After returning the rented canoes we will heading to Niagara (oh yes - it might be a big contrast) the same day.

Fred Forest: “You may have chosen Canoe Lake because of the outfitting services available but there are other access points that are similarly developed that would be a much better option.”
-> Exactly! Which access points do you have in mind?

Fred Forest:  “If you would like more specific feedback provide more details about the reasons you are considering those routes and perhaps we can provide other options.”
-> Short portages, not too many kilometres, close to the Western Entrance, canoe delivery or store at access point.

7/30/2018 3:54 pm  #9

Dead_Weight: “or perhaps Booth”
RobW: “A good option for one night that will definitely feel like back country is the Shall Lake Access Point”
-> Maybe it is a little bit too far eastern for my further trip, but it sounds good. There are still sites available (Crotch 4/9, Booth 2/17)

Dave: “Access #3 (Magnetawan) will give you access to sites on Magnetawan, Hambone, Little Eagle and Daisy Lakes. No or only short portages and Daisy offers a daytrip option down the Petawawa River.”
-> This could be a very good alternative, but maybe it´s a little bit too far northern for our packed vacation (maybe not). And a lot of sites are already “sold out” (31.08.-01.09.). Little Trout is still available (4/9) – what do you think about this lake? Do you know if there is an outfitter, who delivers canoes to this access point?

Dave: “Continue through Tanamakoon into Little Island Lake. A nice quiet lake with only a short portage to get there. The southernmost site is the one to aim for.“
-> My biggest concern about this option is: Is it far away enough from the road, that we won´t hear the cars and trucks?

7/30/2018 4:08 pm  #10

DanPM (&trippy&Fred): "Right off the bat I would eliminate options 1 and 2"
-> Eliminated!

Dead_Weight: " If you have never had a back country experience"
-> Okay, Opeonogo is also cancelled.

DanPM: “Option 3, though it involves a long paddle down Smoke before getting into the backcountry, is nice because you could make it a loop, returning via Claude.”
-> For a novice: How long would it take? Are the portages feasible? And what do you think about camping at Parkside Bay, after Smoke-Ragged-Parkside in one day?

Trippythings (&Dan&DW): “You should look at Rock --> Pen.”
-> Oha!

Fred Forest: “You might consider a smaller lake where no portages are required to get to a site and you can explore a portage out of that lake as a day hike to get a sense of what it might be like to portage all of your gear on your next trip.”
-> Great! My first idea is: Staying at Rock (as also DW said) and then: to Pen. Other opinions?

Kind regards

Nicola

7/30/2018 4:47 pm  #11

entkoffeinator wrote:

Dave: “Continue through Tanamakoon into Little Island Lake. A nice quiet lake with only a short portage to get there. The southernmost site is the one to aim for.“
-> My biggest concern about this option is: Is it far away enough from the road, that we won´t hear the cars and trucks? 

I don't recall ever hearing any traffic. I did once on one fall trip to Tanamakoon but so faint that you would have to listen for it. It was not an issue - simply noticed and forgotten.

Dave

7/30/2018 5:15 pm  #12

entkoffeinator wrote:

-> Short portages, not too many kilometres, close to the Western Entrance, canoe delivery or store at access point.

Pretty much all of the main access points will have an outfitter that delivers to them... especially if you're sticking to Hwy 60.

entkoffeinator wrote:

Dave: “Access #3 (Magnetawan) will give you access to sites on Magnetawan, Hambone, Little Eagle and Daisy Lakes. No or only short portages and Daisy offers a daytrip option down the Petawawa River.”
-> This could be a very good alternative, but maybe it´s a little bit too far northern for our packed vacation (maybe not). And a lot of sites are already “sold out” (31.08.-01.09.). Little Trout is still available (4/9) – what do you think about this lake? Do you know if there is an outfitter, who delivers canoes to this access point?

Algonquin Basecamp will deliver to the access point for you, and you would have to stop at the permit office on your way (which is right across the street from Algonquin Basecamp). I haven't been yet, but I've heard Little Trout is a nice lake with a few nice sites. I'll be in that area in two weeks and I'm planning to do a day trip and take pictures of lots of the campsites around there, so if you end up doing this route send me a message before you leave

entkoffeinator wrote:

Probably not. I haven't camped on Tanamakoon personally, but some friends have and they said they were able to hear the highway traffic. There's also a camp and motorboats, so it's not really 'backcountry' feel

entkoffeinator wrote:

DanPM: “Option 3, though it involves a long paddle down Smoke before getting into the backcountry, is nice because you could make it a loop, returning via Claude.”
-> For a novice: How long would it take? Are the portages feasible? And what do you think about camping at Parkside Bay, after Smoke-Ragged-Parkside in one day?

Going to Parkside Bay should take about 3-4hrs depending on your paddling speed. It's normally about 3hrs, so estimating 4hrs (33% buffer) should be appropriate. It's only one really short portage, mostly paddling... but definitely doable in one day, even if it ended up taking you 5hrs.

Parkside Bay would be a good option, but personally I think Pen is the better choice for the reasons I mentioned before... more west facing sites, with waterfalls and a hike en route.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

7/30/2018 10:18 pm  #13

My two cents -- the absolute best suggestion here is crotch lake. You can even buy firewood at the permit office and paddle it over to your site. If you and your daughter feel adventurous you can day trip to nearby Shirley lake which also has a lovely beach directly across from the portage (beside the Ryan L portage).

Magnetewan a close second but the traffic you may see on those early lakes is a deterrent imo.

7/31/2018 7:28 am  #14

Access 3 & 4 are very good options, near the west gate, small lakes and you can have a canoe delivered right to the water's edge. You can paddle to a site very easily and portaging will not be necessary in order to get to a decent camp site. For your first back country experience (and just you and your daughter) I suggest you not portage, especially if you have never portaged a canoe before. If you are planning a single night I think you would enjoy time at a camp site more than a portage so I suggest you paddle in to a site without portaging and this is easily done from 3 & 4. You can always paddle to a portage and hike the portage trail for a picnic.  Always make sure you pull your canoe well up on shore, turn it over and tie it to a tree or a rock. Hopefully, you will have great weather!

7/31/2018 6:39 pm  #15

Yes -- every single access point in the park has one or more outfitters that will deliver canoes there. For the Kearney-area access points (2, 3 and 4), you have the choice of Algonquin Basecamp or Canoe Algonquin, both based in Kearney. Canoe Algonquin is bigger so they're less likely to have all their canoes booked if you reserve last-minute.

Even when I start a canoe trip from Canoe Lake or Smoke Lake I tend to rent from Algonquin Bound rather than the Portage Store, since they're cheaper, and make free deliveries to Canoe/Smoke (and deliver to other Hwy 60 access points for a fee).

There's nothing difficult about the portages on the Ragged Lake loop, the only difficulty could be if things have been very dry the pond between Parkside Bay and Claud Lake can dry up (but this would be noted on the current advisories page on the park website, http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/algonquin_park_advisories.php )

In terms of Ragged Lake proper vs Parkside Bay, it doesn't make a big difference in terms of travel distances but I'd probably choose Ragged because many of the campsites in Parkside Bay are a little close together.

Are you committed to staying in Dwight the night before your trip? If so you're kind of already on your way into the Highway 60 area and the Kearney-area access points would make Dwight out of your way. I guess I meant more where are you coming from in the bigger picture, but if you're committed to that night in Dwight then it is what it is.

Anyway Pen Lake is a good idea, I'm just putting the Ragged loop option on the table in case you want to do a loop. 

Last edited by DanPM (7/31/2018 6:39 pm)

8/01/2018 7:35 pm  #16

Pen lake is good. In September,  you could even just do rock lake. Probably not that busy,but you may see a motor boat or two

8/02/2018 8:10 am  #17

Hello everyone!

I received a lot of information from you (thanks!) and try to subsume it now to a great canoe-trip.

DanPM: "Are you committed to staying in Dwight the night before your trip?"
-> Yes, we stay in Dwight the nights before, for swimming and hiking (more or less -> Charlotte) in and around the park. After using g.maps, the access points 3&4 seem to be a little bit too far.

-> Cache – Little Island is no more an option, because the sites are now unavailable.

Smoke – Ragged is still possible (just 2/17 available) additionally very close to our accommodation and not too far for our next stop (planned: after returning our canoes in the early afternoon we drive instantly to Niagara).

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.