You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/20/2018 5:46 pm  #1

Forest fires in APP - summer 2018

If you haven't found it yet, the MNRF forest map is here:
http://www.gisapplication.lrc.gov.on.ca ... FES_ONLINE

There are currently three active fires within the park boundary, so I thought it would be useful to have a thread with park-related fire info. Two are on the east side, around Grand Lake, but the newest one is in one the most well-traveled areas along the 60 corridor, definitely one to watch:

7/20/2018 6:57 pm  #2

Re: Forest fires in APP - summer 2018

one fire looks close to arowhon pines lodge

7/20/2018 8:40 pm  #3

My friend is Joe Lake with a youth group and he said there is chopper and plane action going on. He also said there was no lighting today. From the map looks like the fire is in the area of the campsites on Lost Joe and a hiking trail goes by it as well.

7/20/2018 8:44 pm  #4

Oh boy.. I hope they can get those fires under control. There is supposed to be some rain on Monday which won't be enough to lift the ban but hopefully it helps with the firefighting efforts.

When we went to the west side of the park last weekend, we were told that some individuals were caught burning wood in the park during the ban :/

Hopefully the cause of these fires aren't camper related

Last edited by Wilderness Trekkers (7/20/2018 8:45 pm)

7/21/2018 4:05 pm  #5

Looks like another one started today, between Hogan and Lavielle.  

My husband and I spent a night on Raven Lake last week and the float plane made several passes by in the morning. We figured they were on the look out for fires.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.