You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/18/2018 6:22 pm  #1

Crossing algonquin park

Crossing algonquin West to east in september or early october.  Was thinking my best route is to start at magnetawan and end out squirrell rapids. Looking for advice or tips or even better your suggestions on wich lakes you would stay given at most 2 weeks to accoplish. Still not sure if i can single carry and im average in fitness. Lots of heart tho. Any thoughts would be great.

YG2D

7/18/2018 8:09 pm  #2

Re: Crossing algonquin park

Are you doing it solo? I wonder how much food you carry and where you keep it.
Cheers,
Sergey

7/18/2018 8:10 pm  #3

I will be doing it solo. Im going to go with minimal supply and hoping i can get down to single carries. I think i can pull it off.

YG2D

7/19/2018 6:39 am  #4

That sounds like a cool trip. How many km are you planning on covering each day? Are you looking to minimize portages (which I guess would mean mostly river tripping) or see different parts of the Park? You could look at setting up a food drop at Brent if you want to save weight.

7/19/2018 6:57 am  #5

I would start with the choke points that you have to hit and work your way back.

For Example - the only way to get to squirrel rapids from the west is thought one area. that have two  different routes.

One is 3 separate cart trails and a road that is probably going to equal a 22km portage. (McKaskills Lake to the the River above Carcajou Lake) 

The second is the low maintenance route from White Partridge Lake to the same area. ~ 10 km of portaging.

Consider that if you can't single carry.  That's alot of walking.  

7/19/2018 8:18 am  #6

My plan that i got so far, is  Misty forks - merchants lake - east arm lake opeongo- little dickeson - north branch- barron or green leaf.
Thats all i got so far and those seam like big days and me just kinda skimming through jeffs maps, im not familiar with east side of the park but would love to finish coming down the barron canyon. Alot of little portage around that area.

YG2D

7/19/2018 8:19 am  #7

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

That sounds like a cool trip. How many km are you planning on covering each day? Are you looking to minimize portages (which I guess would mean mostly river tripping) or see different parts of the Park? You could look at setting up a food drop at Brent if you want to save weight.

I have no white water experience so me taking the petawawa river is not an option. Il be solo and safety for me is key.

YG2D

7/19/2018 8:21 am  #8

Mulder wrote:

I would start with the choke points that you have to hit and work your way back.

For Example - the only way to get to squirrel rapids from the west is thought one area. that have two  different routes.

One is 3 separate cart trails and a road that is probably going to equal a 22km portage. (McKaskills Lake to the the River above Carcajou Lake) 

The second is the low maintenance route from White Partridge Lake to the same area. ~ 10 km of portaging.

Consider that if you can't single carry.  That's alot of walking.  

Il be going the white partridge route, and single caryy will have to be a must. Just way to big of portage to be doubling back.

YG2D

7/19/2018 11:40 am  #9

This is an ambitious trip, the Petawawa would be easier in my opinion (all the portages around rapids are clearly marked and in the fall, the water level is low so there's no chance of being swept down), and there are sections that are identical to the Barron Canyon (around the natch rapids for instance).

Even with dried meals, I can't see solo one-tripping with 2 weeks worth of food, I'd suggest a food drop at Opeongo.

If you're determined to take the southern route, I'd recommend taking the hydro line cart trail from Green Leaf to Grand lake; that route through Carcajou and the Spectacles looks easier but it's not, especially in the fall.

One more piece of advice; you might as well accept that given the season, mother nature will be setting your travel schedule for you.  Opeongo for instance, could keep you wind bound for days if a storm rolls in....  don't fight it, "go with the flow".....

7/19/2018 12:00 pm  #10

Route-wise, of the portion that you outlined, appears relatively "do-able", weather permitting.    

However, what is your experience level with interior tripping and solo travel? 

Your responses appear to indicate that you haven't dedicated much time or thought to the prospect ahead (i.e. your route choice gets you two-thirds of the way there and is likely more difficult than heading down the Petawawa while portaging around the rapids) and I wonder if your experience is of a similar level.  If that is the case, I would recommend a smaller loop trip to work up to such an undertaking.  Having a lot of heart is great; when you're in the middle of a difficult portage after days of wearing down mentally and physically because you're ill-prepared can get you into trouble.   

What is your canoe and weight?
What transportation to get back to your starting point?
Hammock or tent?
Pack weight expected?
Food - dehydrated, clif bars?
Water purification?
Clothing/footwear options or concerns?

There are a lot of questions that might precede the route question and it sends up a couple red flags for me, personally.  I'm not saying it cannot be done...I just get the sense that you're taking a cursory approach.  I may be completely off base in my assessment since there isn't much information to go on.

7/19/2018 1:21 pm  #11

PaPaddler wrote:

Route-wise, of the portion that you outlined, appears relatively "do-able", weather permitting.    

However, what is your experience level with interior tripping and solo travel? 

Your responses appear to indicate that you haven't dedicated much time or thought to the prospect ahead (i.e. your route choice gets you two-thirds of the way there and is likely more difficult than heading down the Petawawa while portaging around the rapids) and I wonder if your experience is of a similar level.  If that is the case, I would recommend a smaller loop trip to work up to such an undertaking.  Having a lot of heart is great; when you're in the middle of a difficult portage after days of wearing down mentally and physically because you're ill-prepared can get you into trouble.   

What is your canoe and weight?
What transportation to get back to your starting point?
Hammock or tent?
Pack weight expected?
Food - dehydrated, clif bars?
Water purification?
Clothing/footwear options or concerns?

There are a lot of questions that might precede the route question and it sends up a couple red flags for me, personally.  I'm not saying it cannot be done...I just get the sense that you're taking a cursory approach.  I may be completely off base in my assessment since there isn't much information to go on.

Well thanks for the response. There is some truth to your concerns. Il be honest ive got one season of canoe tripping under my belt. That was last year i did about 6 trips the longest being a 10 day trip. Nothing huge farthest into the park i went was burntroot/red pjne bay in the fall. All solo trips. I only no so kuch but i wkuld never attempt this big of a trip unless i new i could pull it off.
I wont be bringing much with me
Tent/sleeping pad /bag /saftey kit /water filter /and a change of clothes is all i think i will need.besides food. Safety is something i constantly think about and not knowing exactly wich route to take right now isnt a safety concern more as i dont no the east side of the park and was hoping to hear other paddlers tips and concerns or route suggestions. Heart got me to algonquin park and heart will get me across it. Dehydrated meals and cliff bars as well. I dont weigh my pack and most my gear the expensive light weight stuff. I dont want to over think as that takes away from the adventure. I was under the impression i needed white water experience to padddle down the petawawa river on the east side. If thats not tru and im able to portage safely i may start looking as that way as an option out the park because i heard it make be a little easier on the body and is a beautiful part of the park.Appreciate the feedback from an expreiced tripper. I huge respect and love for the park il be sure to cross my t's and dot my i's before setting out

YG2D

7/19/2018 1:42 pm  #12

The whitewater portion of the Pet really starts at Cedar Lake. Up to that point there will be portages, but it isn't considered a whitewater river upstream from Cedar. 

From there on down to McManus the Pet is a "drop and pool" river which means that there are sections of rapids which drop into a pool and then stretches of river without rapids. In the spring that can still mean fairly fast flowing water, but in summer sections can be bone dry. Late September should be reasonable water levels. Depending on the year water levels can start rising again in October, but given the summer we are currently having that is less likely this year. 

It's been a few years but I have done the section from Lake Travers down to McManus ( http://www.loonislandoutdoors.com/TripReports/PetawawaRiver/PetawawaRiver.php ) . That trip was done in mid-June and water levels were fairly high. Even then we could have portaged all the rapids if we wanted. Some rapids we portaged entirely, for others we portaged our gear over then paddled the canoes down. The longer sections near the end - Schooner and Five Mile - we ran the canoes loaded. The rapids in those sections aren't "technical" and just required trying to pick the route with the deepest water to avoid scraping too many rocks. 

Overall the Petawawa from Cedar Lake down to McManus is a pretty active route so I expect the portages to continue to be well maintained. 

I'll also note that personally I think the Petawawa is one of the most scenic sections of the park. 

7/19/2018 4:10 pm  #13

Curemd wrote:

Heart got me to algonquin park and heart will get me across it. Dehydrated meals and cliff bars as well. I dont weigh my pack and most my gear the expensive light weight stuff. I dont want to over think as that takes away from the adventure.

I'm someone who is sometimes guilty of not planning as thoroughly as I should, but I'd be cautious about taking on something this involved without giving it a great deal of thought. Overthinking won't take away from the adventure, but it will help make sure it's a good adventure. 

But you didn't come here to get lectured by me, so here's what I can help with on the east side of the Park:

The last section going from Grand down through the Barron Canyon is one of my favourite parts of the Park. I've been through there a few times and you could easily do that part in a day. If I recall correctly, there are some nice campsites just past the canyon that would be a good place to stop for your final night (I haven't stayed on one of those for ten years, so take that with a grain of salt). Make sure you check out the waterslide at High Falls just off Stratton.

If you decide instead to do the Petawawa route out (by way of Cedar), the stretch from Perley to Radiant is easy enough and a really nice trip as well. (the one exception to what I just said: Unicorn Hill is a bit of a beast. I made the mistake of double carrying that solo last summer and it sucked). There's a great beach site on Radiant's north shore that I'd stop at if you go that way.

I've wanted to do a similar trip for a while now and had been thinking of it for next summer, so looking forward to seeing how it shakes out for you.

7/20/2018 6:05 am  #14

Ive been mostly focusing on the route across lake opeongo white partride down throught the barron. The only thing that make me nervous about that route is crossing lake opeongo. Ive been trying to also plan a route using the patawawa river but finding it a little difficult.

YG2D

7/20/2018 8:11 pm  #15

Misty forks-big trout-lake opeongo-east arm lake opeongo - little dickenson -north branch- green leaf- grand-high falls - exit ...

Any suggestions or comments ? Took a whole day to cross lake opeongo just cuz its my biggest worry of the trip. Also this isnt a locked route especially the east side of the park because im not familiar with that side at all. Any help or critics are appretiated

YG2D

7/21/2018 5:43 am  #16

If you want to avoid Opeongo, instead of cutting down to Misty right away from Magnetewan, you might consider going through Bice, Queer, Tim River, Shippagew, Longer, Burntroot, LaMuir, Hogan, Crow Lake/River, Lavielle, Dickson and then over to White Partridge etc. That's what we did in a 12 day crossing. The Tim & Crow Rivers tedious at times, but no whitewater. Only a few killer portages, and wind consistently at your back.

MattJ

7/23/2018 9:11 am  #17

Trying to figure out a petawawa river route across the park.
Misty forks - longer lake- catfish rapids - cedar-francis-travers -crooked chute
I could add another day or two in there and shorten my days somewhere.

YG2D

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.