You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/13/2018 11:41 am  #1

August trip from Opeongo

Our yearly trip is fast approaching, and I thought this year I’d ask in advance for things to see and experience along the way that may not be covered by the typical sources.

We’re starting at Opeongo, planning to paddle up to the Happy Isle portage (be kind to us, Opeongo!), staying there for the first night.  We’ve never seen, much less paddled Opeongo, nor Happy Isle/Merchant.

Second night is on Big Trout for a short travel day, to give us a chance to eat some weight out of our packs.  Recent discussions have indicated a few campsites we’re going to try to target on the east side of the lake.
Third night is scheduled to be Hogan, but we’re thinking about changing the reservation as the website shows the lake to be full that night, and we really don’t want to end up having to paddle down its length only to have to come back for the Big Crow portage the next morning.  Also, we stayed on Hogan last year …  We’re thinking either another short travel day to La Muir, which has some openings, or make a longer day and make our way to Big Crow, and have a rest day, since we’re scheduled to be there the next day.  Opinions?

Fourth day is scheduled to be Big Crow.

Fifth is to work our way down the Crow river to Lavieille.  Assuming mostly dry weather stays with us, should we be concerned about the waterway being passable?  (We’re not concerned about running any rapids, we usually take most portages anyways)

We’re scheduled to stay on Lavieille for two nights, then have a longer day, making our way into Round Island Lake. Next night is Booth’s. Then a stay on Annie Bay…
Then we make our way out.

Normally we’ve booked the last weekend of August, but this time we start on Sunday the 12th.  It’s surprising to see how much busier the park is two weeks earlier, we’re definitely going to see more people than previous trips.  Will we be crossing paths with any forum members?

Thanks,
Sean.

7/13/2018 1:53 pm  #2

Re: August trip from Opeongo

Sounds like a great trip!

Opeongo can be challenging in windy conditions, but it sounds like you already know that. You may be able to catch a water taxi last minute if need be, but hopefully you don't. Happy Isle is a popular destination. The water is super, super clear so hopefully you get a calm day and can enjoy the bottomless view. The portages between Opeongo and Big Trout are all quite kind. Good footing, no significant hills. 

La Muir is nice, but if you can make Big Crow then go for it. That 3750m portage isn't awesome though, especially the first half from your direction. But on your rest day you can hike the fire tower and giant pines trails (the fire tower view is amazing). Water levels on the Crow River to Lavieille - I believe it can be a concern along that stretch in low water years. I'll be going through there the day after tomorrow, so when I get back I'll let you know what it's like. I think it's always passable, but you may have some dragging. 

Your portage into Round Island from Dickson is a monster - you've got a major climb there, and you can't pump water out of Dickson (blue-green algae) so make sure you fill up while still on Lavieille. 

Will post a followup about the Crow when I get back from my trip. 

7/13/2018 2:10 pm  #3

there is a great spring at the cabin on big crow,,behind the very large pine you you see a path along the shore line,,the spring is sheltered in a wooden box. great spot to fill up

7/19/2018 2:11 pm  #4

Crow river report between Big Crow and Lavieille, as of a few days ago:

We had to get out and drag frequently until the 1220m portage. After that the water level was fine.

7/19/2018 3:31 pm  #5

The words of wisdom I can share regarding Opeongo is if you find yourself wind-bound, accept it, and wait it out.  On one of my very early canoe trips we paddled against the wind coming out of the Eastern Arm.  It was a dead on, very strong wind, waves were crashing on the shore at 6am.  Conditions were terrible, worst I have ever paddled in - or ever will.  We should never have been on that water.  Not worth the risk at all.  (I was 16, not a lot of choice in the matter).

7/20/2018 7:26 am  #6

Several areas of old growth forest along your route including some of the world's oldest red pines in the nature reserve on Dickson. The previous age shown on park maps at 340 is now thought to beolder, about 440 as a result of improved aging techniques. They aren't spectacularly large but a great walk if you want to get off the beaten path. There are old hemlocks mixed in as well. Also old growth on the Lavieille/Dickson islands.

The old growth pines on Big Crow are mapped and more accessible with a well-worn trail. Also old growth hemleock at the Big Trout - White Trout narrows, about 400 years, along with a west-facing cliff. Lots of details left out, let me know if more info is needed... good luck.

7/22/2018 4:51 pm  #7

Uppa wrote:

Crow river report between Big Crow and Lavieille, as of a few days ago:

We had to get out and drag frequently until the 1220m portage. After that the water level was fine.

Thanks Uppa, it sounds like we’ll need to give ourselves a little more time than we were anticipating...

7/22/2018 4:53 pm  #8

swedish pimple wrote:

there is a great spring at the cabin on big crow,,behind the very large pine you you see a path along the shore line,,the spring is sheltered in a wooden box. great spot to fill up

Oh, thank you!  We came across a couple of springs a couple of years ago but weren’t sure how the water should be treated.  Now that we know we will look for this one for sure!

7/22/2018 4:54 pm  #9

dontgroandaddy wrote:

The words of wisdom I can share regarding Opeongo is if you find yourself wind-bound, accept it, and wait it out.  On one of my very early canoe trips we paddled against the wind coming out of the Eastern Arm.  It was a dead on, very strong wind, waves were crashing on the shore at 6am.  Conditions were terrible, worst I have ever paddled in - or ever will.  We should never have been on that water.  Not worth the risk at all.  (I was 16, not a lot of choice in the matter).

We’re curious how Opeongo will treat us, for sure!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.