You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/04/2018 10:56 am  #1

Breakfast Suggestions Wanted

I usually eat pretty simply when I'm paddling. My typical breakfast is granola and dried fruit with protein powder mixed in. If I'm feeling crazy I might use one of those fruit cups that are 95% liquid sugar, 5% pear. However, I'm going on a 4 day trip at the end of July with a buddy and I want to offer something to break up the monotony (for him, I could eat granola all year) of four straight mornings of granola. 

What do people do for breakfast in the backcountry? I thought about freezing some bacon and frying it up the first morning, but then I thought about paddling/portaging on a stomach full of bacon grease and the idea got less appealing.

7/04/2018 11:32 am  #2

Re: Breakfast Suggestions Wanted

Pancakes with pure maple syrup are one of my favorites. Easy to add chocolate chips or dried fruit too. The way I prevent them burning on the bottom of my non-stick pan is to use lots of butter, turn my whisperlite as low as practical, periodically remove the pan and let cool a bit before returning to the stove, and keeping a lid on to cook the top faster. Its labour intensive but tasty and calorie dense.

7/04/2018 11:50 am  #3

I bring bagels, cut in half, toast in frying pan. I buy Brie in single serving pots ( 10 in netting) to put on them. All available in local grocery store. This year, due to 10 day trip, we'll be bringing freeze dried meals from Happy Yak out of Quebec which includes breakfast egg omelet with cheese and egg omelet with fine herbs.
Have never tried happyyaks before, but we hear good things about it. They have a website if you want to know more.
On shorter trips we bring ( unwashed) eggs to Make scrambled eggs. You can also buy shelf stable bacon ( pre fried, does not need refrigeration) in most grocery stores, walmarts etc.

7/04/2018 2:23 pm  #4

We almost exclusively eat oatmeal but we bring lots of different things to mix it up each morning. I just dehydrated a bunch of strawberries that will be great in them or any other dried fruit really.

Eggs are also great and easy. Either simply scrambled or put em in a wrap with some bacon and hot sauce. Eggs will keep fine out of the fridge if you get farm fresh eggs that have not been washed. Or you can get powdered eggs. I have powdered eggs from Hoosier Hill Farms (can get on Amazon) that taste JUST like fresh eggs. 

Info on Eggs: Eggs have a natural coating that stops  bacteria from getting through the shell. Eggs in North America are washed (therefore the coating is removed) and stored in refrigerator. Eggs in Europe are NOT washed and do not have to be refrigerated. Both ways are totally safe, just different. Be sure to cook thoroughly regardless.

7/04/2018 2:40 pm  #5

And pre-cooking the bacon, then reheating before eating works great, and eliminates dealing with the vast quantity of grease that would result.

7/04/2018 2:54 pm  #6

i like to take english muffins, they hold up very well.
   try the alpineaire apple cinnamon crisp and spread that on the english muffin for breakie
  very tasty and quick.
  also bailey`s in the morning coffee is pretty smooth, 

7/04/2018 6:49 pm  #7

CanoeClaire wrote:

We almost exclusively eat oatmeal but we bring lots of different things to mix it up each morning. I just dehydrated a bunch of strawberries that will be great in them or any other dried fruit really.

Eggs are also great and easy. Either simply scrambled or put em in a wrap with some bacon and hot sauce. Eggs will keep fine out of the fridge if you get farm fresh eggs that have not been washed. Or you can get powdered eggs. I have powdered eggs from Hoosier Hill Farms (can get on Amazon) that taste JUST like fresh eggs. 

Info on Eggs: Eggs have a natural coating that stops  bacteria from getting through the shell. Eggs in North America are washed (therefore the coating is removed) and stored in refrigerator. Eggs in Europe are NOT washed and do not have to be refrigerated. Both ways are totally safe, just different. Be sure to cook thoroughly regardless.

This is solid advice on breakfasts.  Oatmeal is the go to, with any dehydrated fruit. (Ataulfo mangos are the best)
I like to throw in a bannok breakfast here and there, I even add dehydrated fruit to that, with some maple  syrup.  If I'm doing bacon I go for the pre cooked from m&m meats.

7/07/2018 11:39 am  #8

Breakfast pitas and the little packets of peanut butter. The instant microwave bacon doesn't need to be refrigerated and is sealed.  On the more pricey side, Mountain House breakfast skillet (my favorite dehydrated dinner). Bannock?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.