You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/25/2018 12:06 pm  #1

Preferred Bug Spray

Was going to post in anothe thread about the current status of bugs in the park, but thought that I would post here instead.

What is everyone's preferred DEET bug repellent?
I have been using OFF deep woods but am wondering if there might be something else out there that people have found that works better?

Thanks in advance.

6/25/2018 12:38 pm  #2

Re: Preferred Bug Spray

With Canadian regulations limiting DEET content to 30%, there isn't a lot of variation these days. Before the regulation changes Muskol was one that we always used. I think it used to be 90% or more DEET back then. 

Today anything listing a 30% DEET concentration should be pretty comparable to anything else listing a 30% DEET concentration. 

Something I just heard about this week is that Mark's Work Wearhouse is now selling clothing made with a material branded  "No Fly Zone" which is impregnated with permethrin. As far as I know that is the first source of permethrin treated materials in Canada. https://www.marks.com/en/product-list.html#q=no+fly+zone&lvp=1

6/25/2018 12:50 pm  #3

OFF Deep Woods Sportsman (Blue can, not green can) it usualy ranges from 9 to 12 bucks (usually a buck more than the green can) but I find it works best. I used to exclusively use Muskol (and still kind of like the scent of Muskol.. probably nostalgia) but I find the blue can of Off works best for keep those buggers at bay.

6/25/2018 12:58 pm  #4

I was not aware of the 30% rule, so I guess that will change my thinking.  I really like "Ben's".  Tastes great (you just can't help it no matter how much you scrunch up your face), is pretty long lasting, and works well.  The 100% is what I have used, hoping Ben's 30% will do as well.  The downside is the cap/squirting mechanism is not leakproof by any stretch, which I found out the hard way over the winter when stuff was in storage.  So it will live in a ziplock bag I guess.

6/25/2018 3:27 pm  #5

DEET is still available in the U.S. in 40% and 100% concentrations but the only difference between 12%, 30%, and higher is the duration of effectiveness.  Without sweating or swimming the 40% is supposed to be effective up to 6 hours (or so, not specifically sure) and the 12% was something like 1-2 hours.  I usually sweat the stuff off and re-apply well before the limits of the efficacy wear off.

I normally bring a couple extra containers of the high concentration stuff along on trips and give them as gifts to Canadians I run into in the interior.  I don't believe that's one of the products on the new "tariff list".  ;-)

6/25/2018 3:43 pm  #6

Hey PA - when are you coming up this year? I might have to plan a trip that just happens to intersect your route. ;-)

6/25/2018 6:16 pm  #7

RobW wrote:

With Canadian regulations limiting DEET content to 30%, there isn't a lot of variation these days. Before the regulation changes Muskol was one that we always used. I think it used to be 90% or more DEET back then. 

Something I just heard about this week is that Mark's Work Wearhouse is now selling clothing made with a material branded  "No Fly Zone" which is impregnated with permethrin. As far as I know that is the first source of permethrin treated materials in Canada. https://www.marks.com/en/product-list.html#q=no+fly+zone&lvp=1

If you know where to look in Ottawa you can get 100% Ben's.
That is great news about Mark's, I've been using ExOfficio bugaway clothing for years and recently started buying permethrin spray to do clothing myself (off amazon.com) and let me tell you, permethrin will create a zone of protection around you 6 feet wide that no bug will penetrate. Combine it with Deet on exposed skin and you are laughing. A tick that gets on your clothing better get off cuz it will die in mere minutes. 

6/26/2018 6:37 am  #8

Hi RobW, will send a PM.

6/26/2018 10:07 am  #9

I'm a bit adverse to putting chemicals which melt plastic on my bare skin, as well as on my synthetic clothing, so I use this:

https://www.mec.ca/product/5043-636/Piactive-Insect-Repellent-%28175ml%29?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=app&utm_term=ios&utm_content=5043-636

Same efficacy as DEET apparently (except against deer flies- they don't care).

I'm also fairly adverse to wearing chemicals which have immediate and severe impacts on aquatic life while canoe camping, and I hope that everyone who wears permethrin soaked clothing is mindful of their water exposure. I'm sure the repercussions are lessened compared to when the insecticide is in its liquid form, but it still seems like it's highly toxic stuff and I think it's worth minimizing the wash-off potential.

6/26/2018 10:27 am  #10

Picaridin is an effective insect repellent in testing - pretty much the only effective alternative to DEET - and is worth trying out. In testing it is as safe as DEET but there is not nearly as much real world history with picaridin usage. 

6/26/2018 1:50 pm  #11

Thanks all!

Sounds like I'll stick with my OFF Deep Woods (Blue Can - Sportsman) for now.
May give the "DRY" version a try...

Cheers!

6/27/2018 7:11 am  #12

For whatever reason I find this stuff has by far the best smell and works the best. Also I find some of them spray out too thick of a mist and its wasteful where-as this bottle sprays a super fine mist so you can get all your exposed skin without wasting. Available at Canadian tire and Costco and reasonably priced.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.