You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/13/2018 5:47 am  #1

Aquaquest has a website now

I've been thinking about getting an aquaquest tarp for a while and just noticed yesterday that they have their own site now. I bought edit: a guide large and the price is way lower than it normally is in Canada.

https://www.aquaquest.ca/tarps-tents/

I have never used one but since they are on sale I thought I would pass this along. I went with the lightest weight version as I may use it for hiking in to a camping spot. Same denier as my tarptent so it should hold up ok. They do have heavier versions though.

Last edited by human (6/22/2018 8:43 pm)

6/13/2018 8:08 am  #2

Re: Aquaquest has a website now

Thanks for sharing! There is a good chance I will be picking up the Guide Tarp Kit. 

Does anyone have any experience with these tarps? I've never heard of the brand but I like that they are made in Canada (and on sale).

6/13/2018 8:51 am  #3

Looks like they have been around for a few years. I found reviews going back to 2014. The price and the size are appealing. I've never found small tarps to be very useful and most syl-nylon tarps seem to max out at a 'barely usable' size. The 13'X10' one that Aquaquest sells is more in line with what I would normally use. 

6/13/2018 9:24 am  #4

I found out about these tarps by watching bushcraft videos. They seem to be somewhat popular with that crowd. Joe Robinet uses one in his latest videos on YouTube about sitting on island for 10 days but they are so long I haven't tried to go through them all to see what exactly he says about it.

6/14/2018 8:39 am  #5

I've just ordered the 13X10 Guide Kit.

If anyone else decides to order you can use the coupon code aq10off to receive $10 off the order.

6/14/2018 9:01 am  #6

RCShevalier wrote:

I've just ordered the 13X10 Guide Kit.

If anyone else decides to order you can use the coupon code aq10off to receive $10 off the order.

I did the same, and used the code - thanks. I'm taking a couple of people into Algonquin this summer - I may be needing a larger tarp than I normally take!

6/15/2018 6:21 am  #7

Darn!
I ordered the 10x13 guide tarp before that coupon code was posted!

This is a great post by the way...
I had been looking at making my own with a precut "kit" but the kit was only ~$30 cheaper and from the US... PLUS i would have had to sew it all together, and well, my sewing skills arent the best and I never would have been able to get the seems as waterproof as the hot-tape seems that these tarps come with!

Thanks for the post human !!!

Last edited by breed85 (6/15/2018 6:24 am)

6/15/2018 6:57 am  #8

I used an amazon gift card I'd received to buy a small guide version a couple years ago (7x10) very happy with it for solo trip purposes - it does the job well - I would have bought the 10x10 but it wasn't available at the time.

Likely going to pick up a 13x10 now for multi-person tripping.  I was on the fence about sil-tarps forever, the cost always being a put-off, but these are great tarps and very well made (although not actually manufactured in Canada I don't believe . . .) I've got a dry-bag from them as well I'm quite pleased with

6/15/2018 5:35 pm  #9

breed85 wrote:

Darn!
I ordered the 10x13 guide tarp before that coupon code was posted!

This is a great post by the way...
I had been looking at making my own with a precut "kit" but the kit was only ~$30 cheaper and from the US... PLUS i would have had to sew it all together, and well, my sewing skills arent the best and I never would have been able to get the seems as waterproof as the hot-tape seems that these tarps come with!

Thanks for the post human !!!

Awesome CS experience thus far.
I wrote them about the coupon code. They graciously partially refunded my order for an equivalent amount!

6/21/2018 7:02 pm  #10

Groan they use intelcom, they blow if you work during the day. It would have been nice to get a tracking number with the order, I had to ask for it. I know a lot of people who are at home during the day won't care but they are a pain for me. I'd rather a notice then I can just go and pick it up. I love Canada Post for that.

6/22/2018 6:42 am  #11

Just received my 10' X 13' yesterday...just elated with how light and small it packs.  Can't wait to test it in the field over July 4th week in the Adirondacks.  Although I hope I don't have to test its waterproof characteristics!

6/22/2018 8:07 pm  #12

Just picked mine up(10X13) and the lighter version does pack small. I use lighter weight tents so the fabric seems pretty durable to me, although I wouldn't want to drag it along the ground or anything.

Pretty nice, tempted to get the heaviest version too but I doubt it would get much use. 

Going to have to find a place to set it up and test it out!

8/31/2018 8:22 am  #13

Hi guys, any comment on how these tarps have held up this summer?

8/31/2018 9:03 am  #14

I hate to say it but haven't used mine. Got some decent hikes in but don't bring a tarp on longer hikes. Going out in late September to maggie's lake for two nights. Will use it then but that won't give the best impression.

I will say that I have the lightest one but large and after rolling it out in the living room I think a small would have been fine for my needs.

9/03/2018 3:20 pm  #15

I bought the giant one (13 x 19 I think) for a group trip in late August to replace an old blue poly tarp. The Aquaquest worked worked beautifully. The quality is first rate and the weight saving is considerable. Would recommend (at the sale price heheh).

The only problem with these things is, of course, getting it back  in to the included bag. I swapped it out for bigger one (an met 20L), and found that the included bag was perfect for one of my quilts.

I will see if i can find a pic...

Last edited by Methye (9/03/2018 3:20 pm)

9/04/2018 5:19 am  #16

Worked great and the space/weight savings is wonderful.  I didn't have any trouble packing mine back into its bag.

9/04/2018 5:21 am  #17

Thanks everyone. I’m going to order one today.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.