You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/11/2018 7:09 pm  #1

Lauder Lake vs. White Birch Lake

I've already posted many times trying to get help from you guys. But I have a serious problem: indecision! I ersearch and research and read trip reports and ... well, nothing!

This is for the Canada Day long weekend. We're a group of 6-8. Trying to decide between these two lakes: want to ask which one is better? And by better I mean it has better campsites (open for stargazing and not too buggy, an area to bask in the sun, relatively large, well-maintained, as flat as possible), has a more 'wow' factor to it (in terms of scenery), a better lake to swim in, doesn't have campsites crammed next to one another, etc.

If I can't decide by tomorrow, I'll just book another trip to North Tea, this time on the West side.

I'll post the other factors I'm looking at in the next post (in case you don't want to read it).

Thanks!

6/11/2018 7:09 pm  #2

Re: Lauder Lake vs. White Birch Lake

* Access Point: No more than a 4-hour drive from Toronto; Outfitter or canoe delivery available;* Route difficulty: easy to medium; No more than 6 hours of total travel and 1.5km of portaging* Lake (where campsite is): *MUST* be scenic. I want some of that 'wow' factor. Killarney and Lake OSA are 'wow. North Tea is 'wow' (in a different way). So yes, wow! And a lake that's good for swimming (clear, not famous for leeches or algae)* Campsite: looking to stay only in 1 campsite.Large and flat enough to fit 3 tents.Ideally relatively open and elevated with some breeze to keep the bugs away.A sunny front (beach or flat rock) to enjoy the sun (Algonquin owes me this!) would be nice.

6/12/2018 6:09 am  #3

Re: Lauder Lake vs. White Birch Lake

All the campsites on Whitebirch are pretty decent IMO.
The northern one I believe is fairly large and suited for a group. Fairly open and definitely an area out front to get all day sunshine. I've never actually set foot on the site but I talked to someone that was apart of a group staying on it last year and he said it was great.
The next one down isn't so nice, not all that flat and the view isn't great.
The third down is the nicest. It has two 'beachy' areas if I remember correctly, and LOTS of rocky area to sit out in the sun. The only problem is it has campsites very close on both side.
I haven't set foot on the next one down either, but from the water it looks okay, i think its pretty flat and open as well.
I have never been to Lauder Lake yet unfortunaly so I can't comment on that. It is on my to-do list for this year though. ;-)
If white birch has more than 1 other party booked on it I would probably pass just because those 3 sites are so close together. If the lake is empty it would almost be worth paying for the extra 3 permits to get it to yourself. ;-)

Last edited by ATVenture (6/12/2018 6:11 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.