You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/21/2015 11:33 am  #1

Heated accomodations

I have a group of Scouts from NY that wish to try their hand at wolf holwing in November. When they planned it, they were thinking Yurts since some are new to camping and starting in cold weather (cool weather?) was intimidating. I'm pretty confident I can train them up and make sure they have the right gear but my question is does anyone know of heated rustic accomodations close to Algonquin. To early for hot tenting with the outftters (and fire & tents don't mix for US Scouts).

We could simply stick to Mew Lake and  tent camp with a designated well ventilated warming tent with electric or possibly propane. Not for sleeping - just for taking the edge off. 

I believe the ranger cabins closed early October. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

jh

10/21/2015 12:31 pm  #2

Re: Heated accomodations

Hi there,
It may be of interest to you to contact Wolfs Den, a hostel that has cabins (no cooking in the cabins, but theres a community hall for that) Its just outside of the west gate of Algonquin Park, reasonably priced and indeed very rustic. I spent a few days there this past september and loved it. There are larger cabins for groups. Seems to me this could be your thing.Website   www.wolfdenbunkhouse.com or call 1-705-635-9336
the cabins and bunkhouses are heated. campfire can be had outside, within walking distance of river where canoeing can be done. A short canoe trip leads you to specatcular falls that can be climbed by using the portage to the top. Canoe outfitter 5 minutes away and they deliver canoes. (algonquin outfitters at Oxtongue lake)
contact me if you need more info.
wanda S

10/23/2015 10:48 am  #3

Oops, just learned from an American friend that hostels may not be familiar to you. You are supposed to bring your own food, the cooking hall has a commercial fridge to store your food in. yOure to cook your own food( or BBQ outside) . Clean up after yourselves and do the dishes after every meal. All dishes / utensils/ bedding are supplied by the hostel ( plenty for groups) , but it may be a good idea to bring sleeping bags along for comfort.
Hope it helps
Wanda S

10/23/2015 12:08 pm  #4

east gate whitney,,,, the mad musher hostle,, check out the link at the top of the page,,, super clean , minutes from every where

10/23/2015 3:00 pm  #5

We stayed at the Wolf Den a few years ago over a February school break.  We had all teenage girls and they were able to fit into the downstairs areas of the bunk houses (lofts not open in winter) and the adults stayed in the lodge. We probably had about 12 or so total on our trip.  The kitchen was great -- pleanty of room in the refrigerator and lots of seating.  We only stayed one night as we were on our way a little further north for some dog sledding.  Everyone was nice and we enjoyed meeting other visitors to the Den.  

We also made arrangements with the visitors center/Friends of Algonquin and were able to meet with a naturalist who did a presentation at the visitors center before taking us out to do some howling.  We also me him the next morning for a guided tour and some snow shoeing on the Spruece Bog Bordwalk trail.  Didn't hear any wolves, but got some owls to respond to our calls.  Saw a pine martin and quite a few gray jays on the Spruce Bog trail. The cost was reasonable and the naturalist great.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.