You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/04/2018 1:43 pm  #1

Kayak Options and setup

So as someone who has only done overnight kayak trips with sea kayaks ( including one with a double seat) I have never done an overnight with a sit on top style kayak.  I like this options and like the look of the "fishing" kayaks at SAIL that have a waterproof compartment and also an area to strap other larger stuff on top.  So here is what I'm asking those that are doing interior kayak trips ...

-  what type of kayak are you using ?  My sea kayaks are gone and I just have the cheapo Costco ones (Pelican brand)
-  can you share some pics of how you organize your gear ?  I want this to be as stable as possible

I am thinking of buying one that's meant for fishing but am unsure the best way to pack things for travel.  Depending on the advice here I might rent one first to try it out ...

Thanks
Paul

6/04/2018 2:40 pm  #2

Re: Kayak Options and setup

You won't find many kayak interior trippers in general, although there are a few of us lurking around. You didn't specifically mention portaging - is that on the agenda, or are you just looking for a setup for 'paddle in' sites? 

The only person I know of who uses (used?) a SOT kayak for camping are the videos Sola Lesta put out in 2015-16 (completely off topic, but does anyone know what happened to him? He hasn't posted a video in 2 years). It's been ages since I watched those videos, but I'm pretty sure he spends some time going into detail about how he packs his gear. Just in case, here's a link to his channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/dempseystudios

I personally use a sea kayak - a Delta 16. The specific reason for my Delta is that they have a ton of storage space and huge hatch openings, so I can fit very large bags into the hatches - makes packing up / unpacking at portages a great deal easier. But if you're looking for Sit on Tops, specifically, then I won't go into any more detail about how I do things, as it's not going to apply anyway. 

I'm not sure where sit on tops fit in for camping. They're shorter and fatter than sea kayaks, so you lose the main advantages I see in kayaks, which is speed and the ability to be out paddling in anything under hurricane-force winds. And you lose the advantages of canoes as well, which is ease of packing and portaging. Maybe a pack boat would be a better idea? 

If you want more information about my approach to sea kayak interior camping, my website and YouTube channel have a ton of information on them. And I'm always happy to help if you have any questions of course. 

Last edited by Uppa (6/04/2018 2:40 pm)

6/05/2018 12:36 am  #3

I once saw some lads from Michigan attempt the Dickson -> Bonfield with SOT fishing yaks.  I don't think they'll ever return to Canada never mind Algonquin.  Not saying it can't be done, just don't bring a wheelchair to help on the portages - it doesn't work particularly well.  

6/05/2018 7:14 am  #4

I have used my Current Design Whistler to circumnavigate Kiosk (4 lazy nights), and for a loop between Canoe, Burnt Island and Tom Thomson (4 lazy nights). It's the older model, 15ft and high volume.

Packing the tight tips with the unpacked tent then your clothes in small dry bags loosely packed to conform to the form of the kayak leave the widest area nearest the cockpit for food bags and larger items on your list. Pack items loose or in small bags, and bring an empty large bag to transport to-and-fro car/launch/campsite.

6/05/2018 10:32 am  #5

I'm just getting into soloing into the interior with my kayak, so certainly not an expert - But here's what I've been doing...  I have a Delta 14 (no rudder/skeg), where I pack with 2 bicycling packs (1 in front, 1 in rear hatches), with tent / sleeping bag in dry/stuff sac (rear hatch also).  The 1st pic is packed for a 3 day trip, where if I need more food for longer trip I add another dry/stuff sac.  There's certainly better ways to pack to conform to interior of the boat, but I've done it this way as it seems to make getting in and out of boat for portage a little faster - 1 pack on back, the other on chest, then clip the dry/stuff sac on back pack...  Again I'm just getting into soloing with my kayak, so I imagine the above will evolve over time...  But I'd definitely recommend checking out Uppa's website - A lot of great info =D

You mention sit on top kayak - While not the same type of boat - Here's what I have done in the past with my rec kayak (just under 10')...  A kayak nose drysac for clothes / personal items (just beyond feet), dry sac for tent/sleeping bag (behind me underneath), and a duffle dry sac for remaining items (strapped on top behind cockpit)...  Again, while not same type of boat - Would seem to be closer to what your aim...

Current Delta 14:

Previous rec kayak (not packed for multi-day trip, but this was the boat):

6/05/2018 11:28 am  #6

Thanks everyone ... I went to Uppa's website/videos and also checked out Lesta's youtube channel and it looks like it's definitely doable.  However it certainly seems like the SOT option makes it more challenging.  I'm only considering that as an option because I already have 2 of them ... but as mentioned they are cheapos and are not fit for backcountry. 

I did see a few youtube videos of guys using SOT for trips (one to Algonquin).  

I know some of you make your own yoke ... anyone had any experience with the commercial ones ?  They do look slick and are around $100 ...    

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.