You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/02/2018 10:39 am  #256

Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

Seems unlikely that the park would then push the date up if they had already pushed it back and cancelled a bunch of reservations (I guess they haven't cancelled yours yet? They haven't cancelled mine for Friday yet).

We can't shift dates either, so we have to shift locations. Is anyone in the Bancroft area who can report on ice status? That's well below HWY60, so I'm hoping it will be thawed by Friday/Saturday, but with cloudy days forecasted I don't think the sat images will be much help. Thanks!

5/02/2018 10:44 am  #257

nvm wrote:

Seems unlikely that the park would then push the date up if they had already pushed it back and cancelled a bunch of reservations (I guess they haven't cancelled yours yet? They haven't cancelled mine for Friday yet).

We can't shift dates either, so we have to shift locations. Is anyone in the Bancroft area who can report on ice status? That's well below HWY60, so I'm hoping it will be thawed by Friday/Saturday, but with cloudy days forecasted I don't think the sat images will be much help. Thanks!

Yeah they haven't cancelled my reservation which gives me a glimmer of hope. We'll see if ma nature crushes that though. 

5/02/2018 10:48 am  #258

Will be up on LOB (Dwight) tomorrow and be taking a drive around that area to see if anything is fish-able.
I'll take some photos and post ice/water conditions.

5/02/2018 11:09 am  #259

breed85 wrote:

Will be up on LOB (Dwight) tomorrow and be taking a drive around that area to see if anything is fish-able.
I'll take some photos and post ice/water conditions.

Cool, that will be very interesting to hear about. We're looking at the Baptiste Lake area which is even further south, so fingers crossed. LoB does typically open up before HWY 60, if I recall from past years.

5/02/2018 11:17 am  #260

I am going to stay the weekend at the cabin in Rolphton this weekend, going to talk to some friends at Brent, if anything super interesting or exciting arises I will let you guys know!

Sean

5/02/2018 11:21 am  #261

Pertaining to the black flies and mosquitos, I am at home in Ottawa this week and black flies PLUS mosquitos are very much present. I cannot have a cold beer on my back deck without minimum 3-4 mosquito bites during evening twilight hours. Black flies are out and biting in Ottawa as well. Mind you Ottawa is 1-2 weeks ahead of the park in weather, but would not surprise me to have bugs right on the opener in algonquin next weekend.

Sean

5/02/2018 12:18 pm  #262

andrewr0520 wrote:

Haha well I have a trip booked for Monday-Thursday next week; I'm gonna wait it out till this weekend to see if there's any budge on the date, and if not, looks like Frontenac or QEW for me.

A friend of mine spent last night in Frontenac. According to her there are zero bugs out, but she might have been lying just to make me even more jealous that she's camping and I'm... not. 

5/02/2018 12:30 pm  #263

Kawartha Highlands is now officially 100% ice free. Algonquin won't be too far behind.  I just wonder if they will issue permits before the 11th because I bet the ice will go out sooner.

5/02/2018 1:54 pm  #264

Our May (April 30th 2018) Algonquin Park #IceOut2018 report is live.  You can be a Winter is never leaving or a Spring is never arriving type person it all washes out to Algonquin Park's backcountry will remain closed until May 11th 2018 under the current conditions.

We've been reporting on Ice Out conditions in Algonquin Park since March when it actually felt like Spring was going to arrive.  Over 600 people cast their vote in our Annual Ice Out Contest and most of us didn't think that we'd be waiting until the second week of May to get out on the water. 

See our full ice out report online at http://algonquinoutfitters.com/algonquin-ice-out-may-2018/

Our BloomSky weather cam has also awoke from it's long winter nap and will be broadcasting live weather reports and images from Lake Opeongo so you can see the progression of this year's ice out. - http://algonquinoutfitters.com/algonquin-park/weather/

Algonquin Outfitters at Lake Opeongo - April 30th 2018

Lake Opeongo Boat Launch - April 30th 2018

Lake of Two Rivers - April 30th 2018

Smoke Lake - April 30th 2018

Smoke Lake point - April 30th 2018

Tea Lake Rock Cut - April 30th 2018

Algonquin Outfitters, Oxtongue Lake - April 30th 2018

See the full report online at http://algonquinoutfitters.com/algonquin-ice-out-may-2018/

5/02/2018 2:32 pm  #265

@algonquinoutfitters
Thanks for sharing!
I bet those lakes look pretty different today after a couple days of summer like temps...

5/03/2018 3:56 am  #266

Thanks AO! It's maddeningly frustrating how infrequently the Park posts updated pics on the website. Is anybody else like me--logging on every few hours just to see if there's anything new? I don't know why I bother, as I'm certain ice-out will happen before the 11th when I'm due to start my trip, and it's not like I'm going to be able to bump up my start-date at this point even if they do announce an earlier opening. I just can't stand the waiting! Time to get going already!

5/03/2018 7:09 am  #267

Yeah I got the email last night from Parks; cancelled this morning and booked for Frontenac instead. I'll have to get up to Algonquin later in the summer. 

5/03/2018 8:09 am  #268

Trillium16 wrote:

Thanks AO! It's maddeningly frustrating how infrequently the Park posts updated pics on the website. Is anybody else like me--logging on every few hours just to see if there's anything new? I don't know why I bother, as I'm certain ice-out will happen before the 11th when I'm due to start my trip, and it's not like I'm going to be able to bump up my start-date at this point even if they do announce an earlier opening. I just can't stand the waiting! Time to get going already!

I hear you. I'm going up myself to have a look at things this afternoon. Ill try to post an update.

5/03/2018 9:25 am  #269

Chuck Enwinde wrote:

Trillium16 wrote:

I hear you. I'm going up myself to have a look at things this afternoon. Ill try to post an update.

Drive safely! 
Looking forward to hearing what you see.

5/03/2018 9:38 am  #270

Trillium16 wrote:

Trillium16, Chuck Enwinde, Vanslyke and anyone else interested in where they can find the most current spring conditions / photos / reports for Algonquin Park Ice Out.  Here's my list.

• The Algonquin Outfitters Algonquin Park Ice Out Reports
 • Algonquin Outfitters Lake Opeongo Live Weather Cam, and more information about it
 • Algonquin Outfitters Facebook Ice Out Picture Album for 2018
 • Algonquin Park (Ontario Parks) Twitter Page - they update more often
 • Friends of Algonquin Park Facebook page, they didn't create an album for 2018 Ice Out it seems
 • Friends of Algonquin Park official Ice Out webpage
 • Friends of Algonquin Park Visitor Centre live webcam
 • Modis Satellite images for Central Ontario

Hope that helps provide you with more things to look at until paddling season arrives.

Last edited by Algonquin Outfitters (5/03/2018 9:39 am)

5/03/2018 11:25 am  #271

Many thanks all! New images up this morning on Algonquin site. Man, it's getting close! Looks like the ice is just about perfectly primed for break up in many places!

5/03/2018 11:54 am  #272

Thanks!
Im not as confident today as I was yesterday that we will be good to go for the 11th but I have crossed everything I can!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.