You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/08/2018 12:51 pm  #1

Is it too early to talk about Ice Out?

Planning a trip and we are hoping to head out May 3rd.... You guys thinking an early or late ice out this year??
Was checking out the maps yesterday and I am now hella excited to get out!

3/08/2018 1:02 pm  #2

Re: Is it too early to talk about Ice Out?

You can check out this conversation already happening over here: http://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1610

3/25/2018 7:34 am  #3

Wondering when the roads to Rain Lake will be passable. Checked the Algonquin website but it doesn’t list any advisories or closures for that area. Don’t imagine they can be travelled yet. South of the border we’ve been getting days a little above freezing and cold nights. Everything is melting slowly and steadily
Hoping it’s the same up north.

3/25/2018 7:50 am  #4

Kevin wrote:

Wondering when the roads to Rain Lake will be passable. Checked the Algonquin website but it doesn’t list any advisories or closures for that area. Don’t imagine they can be travelled yet. South of the border we’ve been getting days a little above freezing and cold nights. Everything is melting slowly and steadily
Hoping it’s the same up north.

Very very doubtful that you can drive to Rain Lake as of yet.
Last year Rain Lake was still completely snowed in for close to a week after the park was open.
Also, "the park" doesn't regularly check these roads in the off-season so they never post advisories until May.
Last year on April 22nd I tried to access both Rain and Magnetewan, both were completely snowed in, I then met up with the park warden and he had no clue the roads were still snowed in.

Last edited by ATVenture (3/25/2018 7:53 am)

3/26/2018 3:37 pm  #5

Never to early to start thinking about Ice Out in Algonquin Park.  We're already counting down the days to the official Algonquin Park Lake Opeongo ice out. Enter your date in our annual Ice Out Contest by visiting the link below, for a chance to win prizes. #IceOut2018

http://algonquinoutfitters.com/contest/2018-algonquin-park-ice-out-contest/

4/11/2018 11:17 am  #6

I have a trip planned for May 11 and I am starting to worry about ice out! Anybody else worried about their trip plans??

4/11/2018 11:53 am  #7

I'd be really surprised if the ice wasn't out well before May 11th. I am now expecting it to last into May but given that the latest recorded ice out date in the last 20 years for Opeongo was May 7th, then you should be good. 

4/11/2018 12:29 pm  #8

Not sure if my trip will be a go.  Have a trip planned for Kiosk on the 7th and apparently there's still 30 inches on North Tea.  Given the amount of snow we're suppose to get here in Huntsville this weekend it's not looking promising.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

4/11/2018 12:33 pm  #9

According to Whitney's short range weather forecast, they are suppose to get 50+ inches of snow in the next few days.  

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/11/2018 12:36 pm  #10

I have one planned for the first week of May (Louisa loop) and have settled on it being scrapped. Very disappointing but simply nothing you can do. Lets hope the upcoming storm is more rain than snow, but even that I am doubtful about 

4/11/2018 12:48 pm  #11

Not good weather in Ottawa either where I live.  Tomorrow and Friday we are suppose to get 25 mm of rain followed by 25 cm of snow on Saturday and Sunday.   Sure looks likes there will be quite a few disappointed fisher people who planned on opening day and early May.  Looks like now it will be the May long weekend for me....hopefully!!!!

​I guess this is "climate change" instead of "global warming".

Last edited by boknows (4/11/2018 12:54 pm)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/11/2018 5:19 pm  #12

We're slated for a week May 7th.

I'm reallyyyyy nervous now

4/11/2018 11:26 pm  #13

Markus wrote:

We're slated for a week May 7th.

I'm reallyyyyy nervous now

It's going to be a long few weeks looking at weather forecasts! Haha

4/12/2018 1:03 pm  #14

Looks like temps in Algonquin for at least the next week will have lakes in Algonquin making ice rather than melting it.

4/12/2018 1:05 pm  #15

Looks like temps in Algonquin for at least the next week will have lakes in Algonquin making ice rather than melting it.

4/12/2018 2:56 pm  #16

Nah, last weekend when temps were dropping to -22C on Friday then ice was probably building up, but over the next weeks with lows of only about -6C at the coldest the ice will be starting to melt from the bottom up as sunlight (even partial sunlight on cloudy days) gets absorbed by the water under the ice. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.