You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2018 2:16 pm  #1

Best Algonquin Cabin

I've only seen the inside of one cabin ... Big Crow ... so out of the cabins that folks have been to, whats some of the best in the park?

By best I mean ...
- decent fishing
- good landing / swimming
- inside is basic but clean, etc.

I would be coming from the ottawa area so I would not likely go to one with access point to the north.

Also I have kids so a drive in one or reasonable paddle preferred ...

I guess this narrows things down quite a lot !

Any suggestion are appreciated ...

Paul

3/28/2018 3:46 pm  #2

Re: Best Algonquin Cabin

Ha Ha, 

I've been to several. Big Crow is certainly one of the best, especially for hiking up to the Fire Tower, not as private as some though....For (trout) fishing, I would say Nipissing River (Highview) and Birchcliffe, for neighboring lakes. You can even do a (big) loop and stay at both those cabins for a week...for bass, Rain Lake, lakers and bass in Rain, and very good smallies via day trips nearby...

Moonman

3/28/2018 3:57 pm  #3

What is inside the cabins? I've camped beside the one on Big Crow a few times and always wondered whats inside. Bunks, Stove, Table? 

3/28/2018 4:14 pm  #4

​Google algonquinpark.on.ca and search for cabin and presto, all you need to know re cabins in Algonquin Park is right in front of you!

​DW...although North, Kiosk cabin is really nice.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

3/28/2018 4:15 pm  #5

Most of the info you're looking for can be found here. But based on your requirements (drive to/short paddle, not in the north, swimming etc) you're pretty much limited to Kitty, Rain, or Tattler.

See all of Algonquin's Ranger Cabins (inside and out)

3/29/2018 11:11 am  #6

Thanks everyone ...

I'm just thinking ahead a little bit ... it might be a neat changes especially in  spring when its still a little chilli in the tent, to try a remote cabin ... just a different experience for them.

They still have not caught their first speck or laker ... I figure as long as we are close to a brook or river then we will get at least a few small ones ...  

3/29/2018 3:48 pm  #7

I don t have much good to say about the Big Crow Cabin. It was a disaster when we arrived. That's a  story in itself. Many Cabins have gained my interest over the year but the ones that attract me the most are Crooked Chute and Mckaskill. Both for different reasons. I think with kids if you can get them to portage a good length the Mckaskil Cabin would be my choice.

3/30/2018 7:20 am  #8

Another way to access that cabin on Mckaskill can be along the hydro line road where there's a  sign pointing out the side road to the cabin so anybody driving along the road can turn off and drive in to have a look. When I was there AFA people were checking it out... lots of noise... trucks, slamming doors, voices. Nice people to talk to about AFA operations in the area but not the sort of thing I was planning on after those long ports in.

Combine that with ongoing road noise from the other vehicles on the hydro and Shirley roads and it wasn't the greatest place to be. If there is a next time at Mckaskill, I'll probably do like the AFA guys and all the others visiting and take the road in but since I'm not allowed to drive a vehicle. it'll be backpacking and bushwhacking, easier than paddling and porting to get to the same place the road leads to.

The best features in the area were the old growth hardwood stands (and probably some of the pines that weren't cut out) along the port to Dove as well as the other ports.

PS... mice making noise in the cabin at night as well... noise during the day, noise during the night. I'm sure some of the campsites were quieter. Have a great weekend, over and out.

Last edited by frozentripper (3/30/2018 7:24 am)

3/30/2018 7:46 am  #9

hi d.w.
   i have not talked to ya for awhile,, i hope all is well'
   would you consider a yurt at mew?  that could be a solution. lots of stuff nearby for kids to do. hard to make reservations,, these yurts book up fast.
    cheers

4/03/2018 10:14 am  #10

Hi Swede ... yeah we did a yurt at Mew once and the kids loved it ... and there's a part of me that if I'm going to do 4 or 5 camping trips a year, doesn't mind leaving the tent gear at home and yurting or doing a cabin.  

The real attraction of the cabin is more wildlife and a chance at the kids first specs ...

Good to hear form you ...   

4/06/2018 7:15 pm  #11

Dead_Weight (DW) wrote:

I've only seen the inside of one cabin ... Big Crow ... so out of the cabins that folks have been to, whats some of the best in the park?

By best I mean ...
- decent fishing
- good landing / swimming
- inside is basic but clean, etc.

I would be coming from the ottawa area so I would not likely go to one with access point to the north.

Also I have kids so a drive in one or reasonable paddle preferred ...

I guess this narrows things down quite a lot !

Any suggestion are appreciated ...

Paul

I would recommend the Kitty lake cabin. No portage for the kids, good bass fishing in the lake and good fishing in the surrounding lakes (booth\bridle). If you want more seclusion you could make a longer trip and go past booth up to tatler cabin. You will only have one campsite on the lake with you and some good fishing opportunities. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.