You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/17/2018 12:52 pm  #1

Ralph Bice West Side Sites...

Hey Guys,

Im taking my 10 year old son on his first spring trip in the park. Trying to pick an esy trip for his first time in spring (He has lots of summer canoe trips under his belt, including Temagami, Algonquin and crown land trips etc), just to deal with the usual winds etc. Ralph Bice can be quite windy at times but its so easy to get to I figured a site on the west side might provide some wind protection, but still would be easy to bug out to the car if need be.

Just wondering if anyone has a site recommendation? Last time I was on Bice was 15 years ago and I stayed on the northern island. I dont really want to go too far down the lake, the sites south of the west side island look like an area we might target. Any input would be appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Mooonman.

3/17/2018 4:50 pm  #2

Re: Ralph Bice West Side Sites...

The 3rd campsite west side (marked on Jeffs maps) has a good sized tent pad and a nice area for swimming. I was there in June 2017.

3/19/2018 5:43 pm  #3

Thanks Wolfpaddle, much appreaciated. Did you get a chance to check out any of the other sites on that peninsula?
Is the site on the acrtual south side of the point or more southeast. Hard to tell on all the maps I've looked at.

Thanks for all your help!

Regards,

Moonman.

3/21/2018 9:58 pm  #4

As I usually stay on R B lake the first night of my loop trips I try to get either the 1st or 3rd campsite on the west side. I have not stayed on other sites.  If swimming is important than the 3rd would meet your needs.
​Attached is a pic of the 3rd site and pic from that site looking south to the 1st site. Never tried to post pics before I hope they can be viewed.

3/23/2018 9:13 am  #5

Hey Thanks wolfpaddle. Pics didn't come through but no worries at all, appreciate the feedback.

Moonman.

3/23/2018 11:00 am  #6

I have stayed at 19 and 18 on the PCI map.
19 had a new Thunderbox installed by park rangers when I was there back in the late summer of 2016.
18 was a BRIEF stay last May during that RAINY opening weekend where we decided to call the trip, before even spending the night.
Both I found to be acceptable, but nothing to "write home about".
18 would have at least had a decent sunrise, while 19 kind of looks out at the island blocking a greater view of the lake.
Hope this helps.

3/24/2018 6:59 am  #7

We stayed on site 11 (on the PCI map)  The site had some nice tent pads, a good rock at the shore for sitting on, and great swimming.  The little bay between 10 and 11 is about waist deep and sandy, with a beach running part way between the two sites.  We are hoping to get back to it again this year.  The kids loved it (They were 16 and 13)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.