You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2018 5:25 pm  #1

Nipissing - Big Bob to Grass Lake Stretch

Gidday Gang
Been a while since I have been on the site but cabin fever is starting to hit!
​Has anyone been on the Nip on the stretch from Big Bob to Grass lake lately....how bad is it over grown? 

3/09/2018 6:02 pm  #2

Re: Nipissing - Big Bob to Grass Lake Stretch

Will be on the stretch in early May. May 6th to be exact. When you thinking of going? I can report back if you want.
Shawn

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

3/10/2018 9:14 am  #3

I did that stretch end of May 2012 and I didn't have any problems.  Water levels were good and there was no problems with alders.  There is a stretch where water levels can be low.  I also did it mid-June one year and there was a section where I had to walk the canoe for a bit because of water levels.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

3/10/2018 10:00 am  #4

I did this stretch around October 20th last year, 2017. Surprisingly, no issues at all, lots of water and alders weren't a problem either. There were a couple pullovers, but not nearly as many as are indicated on Jeff's Map Version 5.0 (thankfully!). 

​I say go for it!

3/10/2018 10:04 am  #5

I went through a bit after Tripper, in July 2012. That was a record low year for water (and a 21 day fire ban) but I never had to get out and drag (was solo too). The alders are thick but workable, not sure how they are 6 years later but for some detailed pics, check day one and day two of this trip report.

3/13/2018 12:33 am  #6

Thanks gang for your reports!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.