You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/23/2018 10:15 am  #1

Anyone going to the Outdoor Adventure Show this weekend?

I don't have any overwhelming reason to go.. I don't need any gear. But I wouldn't mind bumping into some AA'ers if any of you are going to be there. 

2/23/2018 2:45 pm  #2

Re: Anyone going to the Outdoor Adventure Show this weekend?

I'm going! We also have no specific need but it's not too far from us so we're going to check it out. I've never been before so I don't really know what to expect. Looks to be some good speakers and I'm always interested in scoping out gear I don't need. 

2/23/2018 3:06 pm  #3

I used to go regularly, but I've noticed over the last few years there is less and less gear and more and more travel booths, so I stopped going in 2014. It seems it's more of a travel show than an outdoor show these days.

2/23/2018 4:09 pm  #4

I'll be at the Wilderness Canoe Association booth on Sunday afternoon.

Now that my kids have more or less abandoned me because they're too busy either working in the park for the summer, or working as a canoe trip coordinator leading canoe trips in the park for a Girl Guide Camp or being stuck in school for the summer semester, this is one of my steps to start meeting real people again. 

If anyone is around drop by and say Hi. 

2/23/2018 9:42 pm  #5

I will be wandering around tomorrow (Sat)... I like to look at some of the gear, but yes, a lot of travel companies. There are some speakers I like to check out as well.

SeanOfAjax
Paddling Adventures Radio
www.paddlingadventuresradio.com
"Grab a paddle and get on the water"

2/24/2018 11:40 am  #6

I went on Friday. Some changes. North Star Canoes (successor to Bell) was there. Red Lake outfitters increased their booth size. Harlan must be doing well.

Usual canoemakers (Swift, H2O, Souris River, etc) and camping stuff (Eureka tents, Cdn Outdoor Equptmt, Boreal Ventures). Tent City of course is gone. But another new store has taken their place (Up the Nipissing).

I heard Scott McGregor (publisher of all those canoeing and kayaking magazines) give an excellent (but poorly attended) talk on how to write articles, columns, and trip reports for magazines. He is a clear speaker with a sense of humour.

I also heard the tail end of one talk about saving the Nahanni region. Very articulate speaker. There seemed to be a push on to visit Nunavut and NWT, with big representation by national parks people.

Ontario parks booth was smaller this year.

Overall, the show seemed more diverse. Less RV stuff. More cycling stuff. Booths from Taiwan, Indonesia, and some Nepalese trekking companies.

Had a good time and of course replenished my first aid supplies at the First Aid Zone. Three and a half hours and I was done.

2/26/2018 7:39 am  #7

Peek wrote:

over the last few years there is less and less gear and more and more travel booths

^^^^^ This is what I was afraid of.

3/12/2018 3:09 pm  #8

To bad the industry types here in Ontario can't organize something like Canoecopia in Madison WI. 

I find he OAS is now mostly a travel show now. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.