You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/30/2015 8:26 am  #1

Crown Land Campsite - West Side

Has anyone stayed at the crown land campsite on the West side of the park near the Tim Lake access point?  It's the purple site marked here on Jeffs map, just North West of Tim Lake...

9/30/2015 12:40 pm  #2

Re: Crown Land Campsite - West Side

No, but i noticed that  several side roads on the way to access #2 early this september  were closed off with gates. Not sure when or if anyone opens them and if it pertains the road you would need to take.

9/30/2015 1:56 pm  #3

I haven't stayed there before, but I do know a bit about it (I was the one who GPSed it for Jeffrey to add to his map back in 2012).

Its a drive to site (obviously) and is very close is resemblance to the lone drive to campsite on Pretty Lake.

When I passed it last (2013) it had a bunch of logs nailed in between trees, looked like some type of support system for a big tarp and wind block.

Sorry I don't have any photos. Hope this helps

9/30/2015 2:06 pm  #4

What's the name of the lake?

Years ago, we took a drive out of South River, along Pevensey road, on and on, over some mighty "iffy" roads, and ended up at a campsite.  I can't remember the name of the lake off-hand, but if I see the name again, I'll know it.

We were aiming for Big Bob.  Some atv'ers we met told us it was easy to get to, but I think we messed up.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

9/30/2015 2:14 pm  #5

Based on the map it just says AP-35*.  Not sure if that's the name of the lake?

9/30/2015 2:21 pm  #6

No, that's Jeff's numbering system, no?

Argh, I know I have a photo of the campsite and the sign with the name of the lake somewhere....

It was a pretty basic site, but there was a half of a blue barrel buried, set up as a toilet.  I'd heard of doing that before, and that was the first time I saw it in action.  Didn't look too comfy. 

Barbara

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

9/30/2015 5:22 pm  #7

Blue barrel privies are coming to Algonquin?  They have been in La Verendrye for years. 
You don't linger long on one with a book

9/30/2015 6:22 pm  #8

kayamedic wrote:

Blue barrel privies are coming to Algonquin?  They have been in La Verendrye for years. 
You don't linger long on one with a book

No, the site I stopped at was not within the boundaries of Algonquin Park.  It was a Crown Land site, I assume.

Algonquin still has the wooden privies.  Some are brand-spanking new, some are rotted, gross things.

I still haven't found the photo, and still can't remember the name of the lake.  I'm going to have to go to Toporama, or whatever it's called now.

Geez, I can clearly remember the campsite, the barrel-privy, and the sign.  Why can't I remember where the photo is or the damned name of the lake?  Argh.

Barbara

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

10/01/2015 11:01 am  #9

Barbara wrote:

No, that's Jeff's numbering system, no?

No, I don't think so. The "AP-35*" here is a lake name label. Jeff has his own numbering system for unofficial access points, but not for lakes if I understand correctly; the asterisk indicates that it's not a universally recognized name, but I think the AP-series lake names are some sort of unofficial government useage? I'm not really sure but I don't think Jeff made it up. The fact that it's the only name given on the map for that lake suggests there isn't another well-known name for it.

10/01/2015 12:48 pm  #10

I'd like to find a good crown land site off of Highway 60 east of Algonquin after our experience last weekend.  We are not able to leave town early due to my wife's employment which rules out getting into the interior on Friday evening.  Unfortunately, I neglected to book a campground site and we had quite an adventure before we found a place to stay for the night.   My wife really hates car camping -- we go to Algonquin to get away from people and really dislike having to pay a lot of money for the priviledge of being surrounded by other campers.  I'm not aware of any jump off or walk in campsites along highway 60.  We have a lot more options when we go to the Achray area with Number One Lake, Pretty Lake and the jump off sites at Achray providing an alternative to the Achray campground for Friday night.

10/01/2015 1:17 pm  #11

yellowcanoe wrote:

I'd like to find a good crown land site off of Highway 60 east of Algonquin after our experience last weekend.

Jeff's map makes it look like you have a few options to check out... it shows 2 campsites up Major Lake Road from Madawaska, one where the road grazes the Madawaska River and one at Major Lake itself; a campsite up Aylen Lake Road at the confluence of the Opeongo and Aylen Rives (access point Op2); and a couple of sites you could hike to on the Bear Mountain Trail system if you arrived still with some light. I can't speak for any of these sites, though I've driven past the Major Lake Road ones without noticing them.

10/01/2015 2:43 pm  #12

I finally found the photos. These were taken back in 2007.

A part of the road we travelled:

The campsite we checked out:

The sign on the tree:

The privy (may or may not be there any more):

Last edited by Barbara (10/01/2015 2:44 pm)

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

10/01/2015 7:28 pm  #13

well yuk in a way.. My feet would be in the air and I have never seen one with a toilet seat!

10/02/2015 5:29 am  #14

I was hoping Id be able to go check that out today but I drive a compact car.

10/02/2015 5:52 am  #15

the crown camp site is probably used full time for the fall hunting season. along with the privy. . building a yearly camp potty is alot of work in rocky soil.  also some bear hunters use barrels to transfer bait into the tree stand shooting lane areas. recycle, recycle.

10/02/2015 9:25 am  #16

Dan,

"...a campsite up Aylen Lake Road at the confluence of the Opeongo and Aylen Rives (access point Op2)..."

Actually there are two campsites in that area on Jeff's map... the one closest to the Aylen marina and access point is very exposed to road traffic and offers no privacy. A much better campsite is the one closer to Hwy 60 on the Opeongo river 1-2 km further in from the elbow in the Aylen road... there is a lot of room here, enough for several campsites and IIRC it is the place where WW paddlers often stay at while doing runs down the Opeongo.

The downside of this location is an ATV trail along the old railway line next to the campsite... when I was there, several came roaring past. But no one else camping although the easy road access means that bush parties could be happening.. Also there is the need to drive on a short dirt road to get to the river, off the main gravel Aylen lake road.... some small potholes and puddles of water could be a problem with low clearance vehicles. All that said I haven't been there in several years, so the place may have changed but since it's on Jeff's map, I suppose crown land camping is still possible there.

PS... another perk from camping here is paddling Aylen lake if it is calm... nice scenery and bass fishing.

Last edited by frozentripper (10/02/2015 9:31 am)

10/02/2015 3:40 pm  #17

Yellow canoe, Maybe this is something for future reference. Me and my friend stayed at Wolfs Den for a couple of nights (just outside west gates) and day tripped into Park lake and Snow lake, with easy access from hw 60. A flat 120m portage from highway parking (turn around for snowplows) into Park lake. About a good hours paddle to Snow lake, where theres supposed to be 2 sites, but the site on the point (Jeffs map) was not found. The second site is further along the way then indicated. Small site, room for 2 smalerl tents, lots of firewood, dead pines behind site. This site is unmaintained, (it looks it, ferns growing on tent sites). We could not hear traffic from hw 60.If you'dd like to see a couple of pics,let me know.We were there this year in september.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.