You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/17/2015 5:43 am  #1

North Grace or Grassy Bay for late September canoe trip?

I'm considering one of two loop routes for an end of September solo fishing and wildlife viewing trip.  

1.  Cache start and finish, Bonnechere, North Grace, Loiuisa, Pardee, Head
2.  Rain start and finish, Misty, Petawawa, Grassy Bay, McIntosh

Which trip would be superior in terms of trout fishing and moose rut observance?  Scenery?

Whichever one I don't do this September, I'll incorporate into a longer spring trip next May.

Comments and tips would be much appreciated.

8/17/2015 7:21 am  #2

Re: North Grace or Grassy Bay for late September canoe trip?

Probably #2 for moose. I generally find the west side of the park to be best for moose and I've had or heard of moose sightings on many of the water bodies on the route. Of course moose could turn up anywhere, especially during the rut, but #1 doesn't really pass through major hotspots.

And although I'm sure there are those on the forum who've had great fishing experiences on those lakes too, I would hazard that trout would come easier on route #1, lakers specifically. Several of the lakes on that route (eg Bonnechere, Louisa, Harness) are good "numbers" lakes for lake trout, while McG might offer some size. Not too sure about brook trout... if you were extending that route as part of a longer trip in May, you could look for big brookies in the lakes south of Louisa or maybe Big Porc. If you went with route #2 you could try for brookies in the river areas I suppose.

Anyway, there are far more experienced anglers on the forum who may overrule me.

One thing about route #2, heading towards Misty I'm not sure why you'd start at Rain instead of Magnetawan for an easier trip... unless you're making the part west of Misty a loop, travelling via Daisy and the Pet in one direction and via Jubilee etc in the other.

Last edited by DanPM (8/17/2015 7:57 am)

8/17/2015 7:52 am  #3

Thanks Dan, I haven't been to either one of those areas so your comments are appreciated.  It sounds like I may have to move either fall colours, fishing or moose sightings to the top of the priority list to make a decision for the fall trip. For spring, fishing would be priority.

You're right, Magnetewan would be a better option than Rain, travelling all the way down the Pet to Grassy Bay and then loop back up through Jubilee.  If I do this route in the spring, I'll go Mag, Queer, Tim River, Burntroot, Pet, Hogans, up the Pet back to start.

If I do #2 in the spring, I'll extend it down to the Galipo Lakes.

8/17/2015 9:05 am  #4

For scenery, Grassy Bay... canoeing through wetlands areas when vegetation is starting to change color might offer up some possibilities. And there's the cliff on White Trout nearby which overlooks maple forests to the west and maybe a sunset if the climb is timed right.

Trout fishing may pick up end-Sept if surface temps fall far enough... hardened old vets in the Bancroft area troll all day on BT lakes and they can do very well at that time of year. 

Both areas are dominated by sugar maple forests in the larger landscape so there should be color either way... ports, long views and cliffs should provide that.

PS.... canoeing through wetlands Sept with color change beginning:

Again PS... hm, larger version of above pic..

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7530/15308948504_84c346bfde_z.jpg

Last edited by frozentripper (8/17/2015 9:23 am)

8/17/2015 9:21 am  #5

Hmm, good points.  I'm leaning left.
For option 2, how busy would that be in early May?  I crave solitude on my canoe trips and I know the west side is pretty quiet in the spring, but what's Cache, Bonnechere, Loiuisa like in May?

8/17/2015 9:49 am  #6

My Self Reliance wrote:

I know the west side is pretty quiet in the spring, but what's Cache, Bonnechere, Loiuisa like in May?

It's a popular trout fishing area so it gets its share of use in May, but many of the smaller lakes on the route will feel nice and quiet since they don't have many campsites, they're several portages deep in the backcountry, and in some cases they're not on the most direct route from the nearest access point to a popular destination lake. Louisa might be the most crowded lake you camp on but the west end, which is most convenient for you, would be the quietest.

I think in general the west (Kearney-based) side of the park feels quieter at any given time simply because there are lower numbers of campsites available in the area, so even if many of the lakes are fully booked there's just fewer people travelling to them from those access points.

frozentripper makes a good point about the White Trout lookout trail clinching it on the scenery question. Aside from that I would say that the southern route is a lot of typical (and very nice) rocky pine-clad shoreline scenery, while the western route is more a mix of that and wetlands, and if you take the Tim River from Queer towards Misty that adds a whole other landscape of primary succession tamarack forest.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.