You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/03/2017 8:02 am  #1


Season coming to an end?

I came to the unfortunate realization this morning that this years canoeing season is coming to an end. For some reason I thought Thanksgiving was the weekend of the 14th and 15th, not the 7th and 8th!

Does anyone have any tripping plans for after the long weekend?
There are still a few in my mind that I want to do before the ice forms, like the Big Thunder loop out of Kiosk, Rosebary Lake, and Booth/Shirley Lakes. For some reason I haven't been to Achray yet this year, which is strange, so I wouldn't mind doing a trip to the Barron River as well. The last time I tripped out that way was Nov. last year, so maybe next time I'm portaging out there it will be through 6 inches of snow, again.

I guess fall must have come so fast because of the few weeks of summer we got in September.. I hope everyone got out there and enjoyed it! In August and September I was fortunate enough to spend 30+ nights in the back country of Algonquin and Temagami; but I'm not even close to calling it quits yet!

Last edited by ATVenture (10/03/2017 8:03 am)

 

10/03/2017 9:25 am  #2


Re: Season coming to an end?

I don't have anything planned really, however in my mind my "camping" season starts after Thanksgiving.  Over the past several years I seem to have shifted from tripping and camping in the summer months mainly due to the increased crowds.  So for me, I try to do a trip in late October or early November, then another trip in January or February and then a 3rd in early spring.  No bugs and far less people make me a happy camper

 

10/03/2017 9:52 am  #3


Re: Season coming to an end?

Hahaha Steve, if you can't beat them...

I second the winter camping (going up Oct 12 partly to scout a winter site), but the November trip is hardcore. Apart from Mew Lake air strip, anyone have other recommendations in Algonquin?

Cheers
M

 

10/03/2017 9:53 am  #4


Re: Season coming to an end?

The beauty of winter (or at least once the winter rules kick in) is that you can pretty much go anywhere in the park.  I think the rule states you have to be something like 30m from any lake, river or trail, and can't camp on any summer site but aside from that, the park is yours to set up camp!

 

10/04/2017 12:38 am  #5


Re: Season coming to an end?

At the same time, there are fairly few sites accessible for winter camping in APP, especially until the ice is thick enough to (i.e. late January and possibly February).

Only Hwy 60 sites are accessible during the winter, as the roads outside Hwy 60 are not plowed.

Even Hwy 60 access is limited (eg. Last few km of Opeongo are not plowed, so although it's wide open and relatively flat you still need to pull a sled for several km before hitting the lake).

So only a few access points are truly accessible in the winter. I've winter camped by Mew Lake and Cannisbay (crossing on ice, although there is a nice winter trail there so you can access without stepping on ice).

Apart from these two, any other good backcountry winter sites (I did read Mark Rubino's trip logs on Opeongo and Canoe Lake)?

Cheers!
Marko

Last edited by Marko_Mrko (10/04/2017 12:40 am)

 

10/04/2017 7:22 am  #6


Re: Season coming to an end?

  I'm with Steve on his comments. Though I was fortunate enough to have spent a lot of time in the park already this year, can't wait till the snow flies. Question for you guys. I know your not allowed to canoe cart on logging roads, but what about pulling a toboggan in winter? Can't seem to find any info on it.  


I'm just gone Fishin!
 

10/04/2017 7:34 am  #7


Re: Season coming to an end?

Marko_Mrko wrote:

At the same time, there are fairly few sites accessible for winter camping in APP, especially until the ice is thick enough to (i.e. late January and possibly February).

Only Hwy 60 sites are accessible during the winter, as the roads outside Hwy 60 are not plowed.

Even Hwy 60 access is limited (eg. Last few km of Opeongo are not plowed, so although it's wide open and relatively flat you still need to pull a sled for several km before hitting the lake).

So only a few access points are truly accessible in the winter. I've winter camped by Mew Lake and Cannisbay (crossing on ice, although there is a nice winter trail there so you can access without stepping on ice).

Apart from these two, any other good backcountry winter sites (I did read Mark Rubino's trip logs on Opeongo and Canoe Lake)?

Cheers!
Marko

They plow all the way into Kiosk Lake. That's where I spend most of the winter.
Last year I built a quintzee about 50 meters away from a canoe campsite, which worked out great. I shoveled around the thunder box so it was still easy to use when needed, and moving water was easily accessible where it flows under the old rail bridge on Kiosk Lake. I will likely be doing something very similar again this year.

Last edited by ATVenture (10/04/2017 7:34 am)

     Thread Starter
 

10/04/2017 9:59 am  #8


Re: Season coming to an end?

ATVenture wrote:

They plow all the way into Kiosk Lake. That's where I spend most of the winter.
Last year I built a quintzee about 50 meters away from a canoe campsite, which worked out great. I shoveled around the thunder box so it was still easy to use when needed, and moving water was easily accessible where it flows under the old rail bridge on Kiosk Lake. I will likely be doing something very similar again this year.

 
Now that is tempting! Is the road in relatively reasonable condition (i.e. good enough for a Honda Odyssey)?

Re: logging roads: I thought that logging activity continues (and even increases) in the winter. I did walk the toboggan down the dog sledding trail around the Sunday Lake area (camped on Black Fox Lake) and that is ok I think...

M

 

10/04/2017 12:10 pm  #9


Re: Season coming to an end?

Marko_Mrko wrote:

ATVenture wrote:

They plow all the way into Kiosk Lake. That's where I spend most of the winter.
Last year I built a quintzee about 50 meters away from a canoe campsite, which worked out great. I shoveled around the thunder box so it was still easy to use when needed, and moving water was easily accessible where it flows under the old rail bridge on Kiosk Lake. I will likely be doing something very similar again this year.

 
Now that is tempting! Is the road in relatively reasonable condition (i.e. good enough for a Honda Odyssey)?

Re: logging roads: I thought that logging activity continues (and even increases) in the winter. I did walk the toboggan down the dog sledding trail around the Sunday Lake area (camped on Black Fox Lake) and that is ok I think...

M

I make it in with a compact Hyundai car (Accent). You have way more ground clearance than I. I have never really had an issue getting out there, I assume its probably a low priority for the plows, so if we get dumped on I wouldn't try for a few days afterwards.
Also the natives go into the park through Kiosk Lake to ice fish (they fish Mink, Cauchon, Manitou, etc). The old railbed ends up nice and packed from snowmobiles (snowshoes not always neccessary) and they pack a nice trail across the lake when the ice is thick enough. I know its not neccesaarily a good thing that they access the park via motorized vehicles for fishing, but it makes travel very easy for me. 

This year I have a portable ice fishing hut that I plan to use as a hot tent for a few trips when I want to explore different areas (not quintzee basecamping). I wonder if I could get away with setting up in the campground for a couple of nights (its obviously closed and not plowed). That way I could make use of the Pheonix toilets as well as a firepit?

Last edited by ATVenture (10/04/2017 12:15 pm)

     Thread Starter
 

10/04/2017 2:48 pm  #10


Re: Season coming to an end?

I sure would love it if the weather cooperates for a late fall trip ... I have done a few trips this year with the kids and with my girlfriend but I've only spent 1 day in the park and none in the interior of the park.  We missed August with family issues so that's when the kids and I do a trip and then the earl spring and fall is for me. 

Would love to get out on the Pet via McManus, whitson, etc  .. .even for 2 nights ... that would round out the year nicely ...

 

10/05/2017 7:20 am  #11


Re: Season coming to an end?

Dead_Weight (DW) wrote:

I sure would love it if the weather cooperates for a late fall trip ... I have done a few trips this year with the kids and with my girlfriend but I've only spent 1 day in the park and none in the interior of the park.  We missed August with family issues so that's when the kids and I do a trip and then the earl spring and fall is for me. 

Would love to get out on the Pet via McManus, whitson, etc  .. .even for 2 nights ... that would round out the year nicely ...

I've never been! When we going???
 

     Thread Starter
 

10/05/2017 5:35 pm  #12


Re: Season coming to an end?

Question - what is the latest I can reasonably expect to not be a terrible father bringing my 9 year old for a call weekend?

Circumstances mean late Oct is the  best we can hope to get a free weekend. I'd not go if the weather was going to be wet, but am I crazy to think about a call trip with my son?

Thnx

 

10/05/2017 6:10 pm  #13


Re: Season coming to an end?

I've brought my 7 year old up in the dead of winter for a trip so I think bringing your son up at any time makes you a great father!

 

10/05/2017 6:14 pm  #14


Re: Season coming to an end?

Thanks, that's all I need!

 

10/07/2017 7:21 am  #15


Re: Season coming to an end?

As others posted
Winter is camping season!
I'm not a paddle I hike - so I definitely prefer cooler temps and love when there's lots of snow!

As for bringing kids
I took my son a few years back ( he was 10 ) to a winter camp and temps went to -27C.
He still talks about that trip and we've done several other winter ones after

We were in APP 2 winter's ago when the winter solstice lined up with the new moon.

Cheers

 

10/31/2017 3:00 pm  #16


Re: Season coming to an end?

Is anyone still paddling this year? I was looking through my photos from last year and my last overnight canoe trip was the night of Nov. 17th.. still a ways to go... http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/cool.png

     Thread Starter
 

11/01/2017 11:42 am  #17


Re: Season coming to an end?

We are still paddling! Our last scheduled trip is always around Remembrance Day. Fall is an amazing time to check out the HWY 60 corridor as the crowds are loooong gone. From November onwards you can often be the only person putting in at the busiest access points like Canoe Lake, Smoke Lake, Achray (with a portage) etc...

A word of caution though, the water is lethal cold. A wet or dry suit is a really good idea. Lake conditions  get very hazardous. 

IE: the roads. Most secondary roads only stay open if there is logging activity and the loggers are clearing snow. Barron Canyon road stays open for that reason. But because the loggers aren’t going to Achray or stopping at Barron Canyon, those lots and roads are not plowed. You have to park on the side of the road, which is kinda sketchy sometimes. Good news is that the roads are often in better condition through the winter for smaller vehicles as the snow and ice tend flatten them out. Just be mindful of snow dumps or thaws could leave you stranded until loggers come back after a weekend. Best part is that the unplowed roads become toboggan sloggin routes!

The winter rules and road closures forces you to look at a map of the park totally differently and use your imagination a bit more

At the portage from Tom Tomson to Ink Lake mid November:
[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7530/15548133093_6a1ac77cd7_c.jpg
20141110_121126 by pauldurand25, on Flickr[/img]
 

Last edited by APPaul (11/01/2017 11:45 am)

 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.