You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/26/2017 8:50 am  #1

New to Front country in Algonquin Park...

Hey guys!!!
Mid October a few friends and I will be staying at Mew Lake Campground for a night and then heading into the backcountry the next morning. This is our first time staying at a drive-in site so I have a few questions I was hoping some of you may have the answers to...
We will be arriving around11:30 pm on a Thursday...

1. Can our food barrel and anything else that smells stay in the car or should we hang it like in the backcountry??
2. Firewood - I doubt we'll be keen on making a small fire when we arrive, but if we do how do we go about buying firewood at 11:30 pm? Is there a lot we can pick from and then pay the next morning?
3. Is there anything else we should know about?!!

Thank you all in advance!!!

9/26/2017 11:47 am  #2

Re: New to Front country in Algonquin Park...

The only problems I have heard of with bears and food in the car is leaving a window open a crack. They slip their nails in the opening and pop the window glass I assume. Some people cover their barrels and coolers with a blanket or somesuch when they are in the car because bears will associate those items with a snack but hanging in a tree seems a bit over the top when you have a perfectly good vehicle.

The wood yard is off to the left when you first enter the park. Go past the gate house and watch for the wood shed in the parking lot on the left. Should be bags of kindling and bags of fire wood with an honour system money drop. Self serve camping registration is a small open shed off to the right as you enter the park.

The camping at the far end of the park on the peninsula can be noisy because of traffic on the highway just across the lake. I think that section is also radio free.

9/26/2017 1:02 pm  #3

Re: New to Front country in Algonquin Park...

Awesome, thank you!!!!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.