You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/09/2017 8:46 am  #1

Nipissing water levels

Hello all,

I'm thinking of trying the Nipissing from Big Bob to floating heart next week and I was hoping that with all of the rain this summer the water levels would be higher than they normally are this time of year.  Does anyone know what the water level is like?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

9/10/2017 12:35 pm  #2

Re: Nipissing water levels

Don't know the levels but you'll be entering the heart of darkness this time of year with those alders becoming a jungle, blotting out the sky and filling your canoe with spiders....  there are sections of Latour creek that are barely the width of a canoe, even in the spring..... Personally I'd wait till May for that one.

9/10/2017 1:08 pm  #3

Thanks Kurt, you paint quite the picture.  The alders didn't even cross my mind, looks like its going to be my back up route.

Jeff

9/10/2017 7:22 pm  #4

I just got back from an 11 day and was on the Petawawa for a bit, started with Brent through White Trout. Although not the Nip, it is adjacent. Water was high. Sites and portages I remember having beach like water entries had water right up to the bank on all lakes travelled. That ring of rocks you see around lakes during low/ normal water years was not visible at all.

Expect high water levels whatever route you choose.

9/11/2017 5:11 pm  #5

Thanks APPAUL, 

I'll keep that in mind.  I'm leaving Saturday and I can't wait.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.