You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/29/2017 10:28 am  #1

October clothing.

I'm a newbie to canoe tripping and have never camped in the fall. Was planning on doing a basecamp in algonquin the first week of October. Can anyone suggest where to get some inexpensive clothing to help me survive the cold. I checked my closet I have nothing and I realized being a city boy I spend most my winter in a tshirt with the heat blasting or hibernating like a bear. I Have a half decent base layer, trying to find a good wool sweater without breaking the bank seams to be hard to find. Any suggestions ?

YG2D

8/29/2017 10:59 am  #2

Re: October clothing.

I know there have been some great finds at places like Value Village....I sometimes poke through there hoping to find a diamond in the rough.  Usually there is lots of fleece and stuff that you might be able to pick up?  If you want new, check out this website...it has great deals on good equipment and it's a Canadian company:  https://thelasthunt.com/

Most places like MEC or Sail also have clearance racks where you can often score a good deal on a decent piece of kit.

Last edited by Steve E (8/29/2017 11:00 am)

8/29/2017 5:00 pm  #3

I've been to a couple value villages with no luck. Still searching thanks for the link.

YG2D

8/29/2017 9:05 pm  #4

Probably not the best advice, but I did an October trip last year and just wore layers of regular cotton clothes; sweatpants, sweatshirt, etc. I brought a jacket as well, but when I went it was a high of 8 degrees and it went down to 0 overnight (it was 18 and sunny the day before I left! ). I do have a sleeping bag meant for winter though, so that kept me warm throughout the night.

Point is, work with what you've got. If you can't find or can't afford proper warm clothing, just layer up and you'll be fine. I wouldn't say the same thing about winter camping, but for fall, you should be ok. I'd worry more about taking proper precautionary measures while paddling (ie. staying close to shore) - if you happen to tip in those cold waters, it could be life or death in the matter of a few minutes.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/30/2017 6:03 am  #5

Make sure you have a wool toque packed. I own like 3 of these:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5001-785/Merino-Wool-Cap

Can't beat the price. 

8/30/2017 7:35 am  #6

The biggest recommendation I can make is to ensure that you have one set of dedicated sleep clothing, including socks and a toque (long enough that you can pull it down a bit over your face).  You don't want to wear the same base layer to bed that you've been wearing all day.  Those clothes will feel clammy and miserable overnight.  Pack the sleeping clothes right in your sleeping bag to the extent possible - you know where it is no matter what. 

Dry is important, particularly with clothing and sleeping bags, so if the sacks or whatever you pack clothes/sleeping bags in are not waterproof, double bag them in garbage bags.  Throw an extra garbage bag or two in with the clothes in case one of the garbage bags is hopelessly compromised (or maybe for use in packing away wet, nastified clothing).  

Make sure you've got rain gear with you.  a pair of gloves can be helpful.  Even a cheap pair or two of garden gloves can help.  I found some really lightweight rubber ones at a hardware store a couple of years ago.  Not particularly warm, but kept water off my hands.

Have the best socks you can with you.  Cold/wet feet = misery, warm/dry feet = happy camper. 

8/30/2017 9:15 am  #7

If youre a costco member check out their clothing.  I have some great baselayer stuff from there and some super warm fleece and wool mid layer tops.  Then any kind of wind proof rain jacket on top to keep out the breeze is key.
I camp late september every year and on cool days/nights my clothing layering goes as follows.  Warm socks, long underwear, windproof pants.  Underarmor long sleeve, merino wool zip up, then a north face rain jacket for the breeze and dampness.

8/30/2017 11:52 am  #8

As others have said, layering is key and a toque is nearly indispensable.  What I usually go with...

warm socks (smartwool are nice)
base layer
jeans or other quick-dry fabric
t-shirt
flannel or chamois shirt
fleece or wool sweater - I'd try L.L. Bean - they have good stuff
jacket 
rain suit
gloves

I use the rain suit for rain or for that outer layer when cold and windy to help keep the heat in.  When traveling it's not necessary or practical to wear all layers but when hanging around the site the warmth is needed.  Be able to start a fire in the rain.  We've had some roaring fires in May to help drive the chill away after cold, long days.

8/30/2017 12:23 pm  #10

I've had good success at value village acquiring wool sweaters in multiple weights from base-layer to heavy duty.They are priced right don't have the sense that they need protecting or extra care.

For pants, you might consider worker uniform pants from Walmart. Less than $30 for the simplest dickies, they are tough, poly-cotton, and coated with something to repel some moisture.

8/30/2017 12:55 pm  #11

Thanks for all the replies I really enjoy this forum you are all very helpful. I actually got lucky last night at value village with a fleece and wool sweater. I think they will work for this upcoming trip. The link for the wool hat looks like a decent price I may stop by mec. I think the most expensive thing I've bought so far is my socks lol there wool and have a lifetime warranty. Amazing how great they feel in my oboz. Boots. Thanks for the tips every comment helped me in one way or another

YG2D

8/30/2017 4:06 pm  #12

hey p.a.  
      i got two of the l.l. bean rag wool sweaters last christmas and wool sock too. toasty

8/30/2017 6:26 pm  #13

PaPaddler wrote:

jeans or other quick-dry fabric

I think it's a misprint?

8/30/2017 6:32 pm  #14

Stay away from cotton!!

Can't stress that enough.

Dave

8/30/2017 6:49 pm  #15

I will order one of these thanks for the link. Much appreciated. Can't wait to get out there.

YG2D

8/31/2017 6:48 am  #16

@ the pimp...I've never had anything from L.L. Bean that was substandard.  The nice thing is, their return policy is top notch.

@ Ed, Edd & EddyTurn...not a misprint.  No doubt that cotton gets wet like a wick...it also dries out fast in front of a fire.  I still use a substantial amount of cotton clothing even in May.  I've got other layers that are designed to keep me dry but I haven't found a pair of pants that offer the warmth, durability and comfort of cotton against my skin.  I always have some wool or fleece for my torso when it's cold that retains its warming capabilities when wet but prefer cotton fibers for my pants.

8/31/2017 7:56 am  #17

Windchill can be pretty bad in a canoe during the fall, so I'd agree that a toque or balaclava will really help. Also a windproof jacket with hood and maybe pants.  

I slipped off a log once starting a port during an October trip and soaked the pants. They were a polyester/cotton work pant fabric and by the end of the 600m port they were dry again. Quick-dry fabrics might an idea although around the campfire the synthetics will burn through if a spark falls on them.

PS...Wool will not melt with sparks and the cheapest wool pants I ever tried were going for a dollar or two at a Goodwill outlet in Toronto... still haven't worn them, sticking with the work pants.

Last edited by frozentripper (8/31/2017 8:04 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.