You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/21/2015 6:20 pm  #1

Thinking of a mid week overnight for fall colours

Been debating heading up just for a night, to get some star shots and fall colours. Current debate is where, thinking Brent would be quite something in the fall. Has anyone been up there in the peak?

9/21/2015 7:45 pm  #2

Re: Thinking of a mid week overnight for fall colours

I would think timing would be more important than where ( except a clear view is important). Full moon is soon. Moonrise is early. That makes me nervous about star shots soon aka next week, While color is starting now it ought to last a couple of weeks.
So my best guess is ten days or so from now.  Of course I am going in in three days( the Adirondacks of NY though where the colors have started...its high in elevation).  I espect a clash with moon. I have the same goals as yiou and I think that my trip in New Jersey ( Yes NJ)  in mid Oct. will have better star results. Color maybe not so much as its all pines.

9/21/2015 8:22 pm  #3

I am also considering a short 1 or 2 nighter. I might start my holidays on Wednesday. Thinking about leaving after work at 2 on Wednesday and heading for Magnetewan Lake and base camp for 2 nights on that lake like you did and try out my new cast iron camp style dutch oven. ;) Then I go on a 3 night 4 day trip on Sunday!

Last edited by token (9/21/2015 8:22 pm)

9/22/2015 8:28 am  #4

"...thinking Brent would be quite something in the fall. Has anyone been up there in the peak?"

Is it the sugar maple peak you're talking about, the peak color time given at the Algonquin website.... Cedar lake does have patches of sugar maples but large areas esp on the eastern shores are in poplar and birch, which will most likely still be green while sugar maples are peaking. All of the other west side access points will have hillsides mostly in maples, Kiosk, Tim, etc... IIRC Ralph Bice has nice sugar maple color, Butt (sorry couldn't resist).... but it's been a long time.

PS... the poplars on Cedar and on the east side should be peaking about Oct 15 and maybe Thanksgiving after the sugar maples have lost most of their leaves, so Brent could be a good bet then.

Last edited by frozentripper (9/22/2015 8:30 am)

9/24/2015 11:58 am  #5

Such a hard decision, may just go along 60, do a couple trails and camp at an undecided campground for the night. Thanks for all the advice

9/25/2015 8:17 am  #6

Zen, if you are driving Hwy 60 during the sugar maple peak, the roadside forests east of LOTR to the east gate are often dominated by poplar and birch which will most likely still be green (like much of Cedar lake and Brent). Cache lake and westward along the highway will be mostly dominated by sugar maples and more likely to be colorful.

The Opeongo Lookout off the Opeongo access road has poplars at the base of the cliffs and sugar maples on the hillsides off in the distance, so the difference in color will be apparent there, along with the view... good luck.

PS... goes without saying, Hwy 60 during the sugar maple peak is crowded, so expect parking lots to be full and plenty of cameras on the trails. Opeongo Lookout may be an exception since it isn't signed and may have fewer crowds. Also IIRC, the Leaf lake ski trail isn't signed, for a longer hike with lookouts.

Last edited by frozentripper (9/25/2015 8:23 am)

9/25/2015 8:30 am  #7

If I were going to be along the Corridor at that time I would try to pick a trail that is not very well known.  Maybe the old Lookout Trail (on the south side of the road), or even one of the Portages. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.