You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2017 9:53 am  #1

2017 - The Year of the Mushroom?

Hi folks,

My brother and I took the kids car camping Monday through Wednesday of this week. We spent our time hiking the walking trails along Highway 60.

While doing so, I was greatly impressed by the quantity and variety of mushrooms we saw along the way. I'm not normally one to notice mushrooms specifically, but you couldn't miss them this year.

Here are some photos. Sorry, but I don't know mushrooms so can't help with identification. I have other photos but for some reason TinyPic failed to upload them

The white one was so white it glowed like a beacon in the dim forest. The photo doesn't do it justice.

Last edited by Blobsquatch (8/24/2017 11:21 am)

8/25/2017 8:50 am  #2

Re: 2017 - The Year of the Mushroom?

Great pics! A great year for fungi!

I'd pay good money to go on a guided trip with a mycologist (?) who could explain what is going on, and which ones are edible, etc.

Last weekend, Aug 19-20 2017, I noticed a lot of Indian Pipe on the island at the north of end of Pen Lake. I know it's technically a ghost plant, not a fungi, but it was cool; I've seen it before, but not in such quantities.

8/27/2017 9:12 pm  #3

We spent a few nights at the Kiosk campground, and a few nights at Samuel de Champlain, and there were tons of neat mushrooms around.  Two groups at Kiosk might have ate some...we saw them picking them and taking them back to their picnic tables while they were making dinner, so I don't know if they actually ate them.  Everyone was still alive the next morning....I'd say maybe they had some good knowledge of edibles in the wild, but one of the groups chased a skunk around then we heard them say "don't worry, it's just a cat" so I don't have too much confidence in their wilderness skills.

8/28/2017 6:44 am  #4

I'd pay good money to go on a guided trip with a mycologist (?) who could explain what is going on, and which ones are edible, etc.

The Mycological Society of Toronto... probably still time to join in on their guided trips, see "forays" starting Sept 2.

https://www.myctor.org/forays/current

8/30/2017 8:43 pm  #5

Wow! I had no idea that group existed. Thanks for posting that, frozentripper!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.