You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/23/2017 7:32 am  #1

need some explanation of the reservation system

This question has a simple answer I can't find an on the ontarioparks website.

Why can't I see availability / reserve anything using the online reservation system after Oct 8?

thanks

8/23/2017 8:26 am  #2

Re: need some explanation of the reservation system

Simple Question, Simple Answer:

Reservations are not accepted/required after the Friday before the Thanksgiving weekend until spring (I can't recall the exact reservation opening date but somewhere in late March or Early April I think).

8/23/2017 8:29 am  #3

After October 8 most parks enter off season mode. All the campgrounds in Algonquin are closed except Mew lake which operates with minimal staff. Interior is still open but you don't need a reservation as nothing will be full. Just show up and tell them where you would like to camp and they'll give you a permit.

8/23/2017 10:26 am  #4

thanks - knew it was simple.

8/23/2017 10:46 am  #5

As an IT worker, I'd also point out that shutting down the reservation system in October also gives the supplier (CAMIS) an opportunity to perform hardware/software upgrades and testing before registration for 2018 starts.  As reservations can be made up to 5 months in advance I would expect that the reservation system has to be back online towards the end of November.

10/16/2017 5:33 am  #6

I was wrong in thinking that the entire reservation system shuts down after Thanksgiving weekend.   You can still make reservations for Frontenac Park which by the way is almost completely booked for the upcoming weekend!

10/16/2017 9:44 am  #7

You can also make reservations for the backpacking trails of APP until November

10/18/2017 7:49 pm  #8

that's a useful clarification. An additional question, based on the thread about achray being gated off.

Is there a good reference for what APs are accessible (or not) after season?
or
can I assume that an AP like Rock Lake is open so long as no snow on the ground - and would just get the permit at the east gate (from ottawa)?

sorry if this is obtuse

10/19/2017 4:11 pm  #9

Last season I went in access #4 Rain Lake in November for a little solo kayak trip. I called the park office, not ontario parks, on my way and they gave me a permit # to write on a piece of paper and leave on my dashboard. Not sure if I even needed it, but it's not too expensive. I doubt they were checking permits. I am planning on doing the same thing tomorrow morning.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.