You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/01/2017 11:08 am  #1

Rosebary to shippagew lake tims river

I am a newbie to canoeing and navigation. I've done one trip from rain to cranebill.
I had a great time. I'm looking to do my second trip down the tims river 1 day from Tim lake to rosebary and then I was thinking of taking my chances on the second half east section. From rosebary to shippagew lake how long would that take and is it something I should be attempting solo and a newbie. My plans, and was to turn around and do the route backwards to get out. ?

YG2D

7/01/2017 11:57 am  #2

Re: Rosebary to shippagew lake tims river

Jeff's Map puts Rosebary to Shippagew at about 10 hours. I'll be able to give you a first-hand report of the stretch from Rosebary to Shah when I get back in a week and a half, but my initial reaction is that it's probably more than you should take on, at least as a one-day trip. Book one of the campsites along the Tim (or spend a night on Shah) and take two days getting to Shippagew. 

Return-wise, I'd suggest not going straight back up the Tim. While there won't be any significant current to speak of, you'll still be going upstream, you'll definitely have to pull over every beaver dam, and besides, it's no fun going back the way you came. Make a loop of it by going back through Big Trout, White Trout and up the Petawawa to Misty. From there you have a few options to get back to Rosebary and head out. 

Or if that's going to make it a longer trip that you planned on, consider only taking the Tim as far as Shah and then looping back around through Misty as well. 

7/01/2017 12:03 pm  #3

Thanks for the reply. I may have been quick to post as you are right to make that in one day would be a lot for a newbie. The only reason I was pushing for the Eastern half was because I heard that's where the moose are.

YG2D

7/01/2017 12:38 pm  #4

If moose is what you're after I highly recommend starting at Magnetewan and going through Daisy and staying on Misty for your first night, Grassy Bay for your second night (down the Petewawa), Macintosh for your third night then you can either go back the way you came in from or you can go through Muslim, Wenona, Bandit etc and back up through Rain/Casey's if you want. I did a similar route a few weeks back and lost count of Moose at 15!
I sent you a private message, by the way. ;-)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.