You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/10/2015 9:46 pm  #1

Question regarding 2016 trout season opener ...

Just got an email from Scott Mathews "Hi - I just wanted to confirm if the trout fishing season in Algonquin Park for 2016 opens on April 23rd or the 30th?"

Perhaps ice-out issues could make it the 5th Saturday in April next year? Anyone on top of this?

9/10/2015 10:48 pm  #2

Re: Question regarding 2016 trout season opener ...

Barry I am not positive and am sure others will join in, but I believe the season traditionally opens the Saturday following the fourth Friday in April. 
So that being said start making plans for April 23rd, 
As for ice out, it does not affect the actual opening, but more the access to the lakes. 

9/11/2015 8:42 am  #3

In accordance with the 2015 Fishing Reg's Summary (I know we're talking 2016 here but lets work with this for now), on page 70, it states no fishing from Jan 1 to the Friday before the 4th Saturday in April, along with no fishing from Dec 1 to Dec 31.

I'm sure when they came up with these regs, they wouldve been aware that every now and then there will be a 5th Saturday in April.. but I don't see why that would be reason enough to modify the opening dates, or they would have went with a solid date number (ie: Fishing opens April 30, every year), as opposed to the 4th friday thingy.. no?

I believe Rob is correct in that ice out won't affect the opening dates, just lake accessibility.. so technically, there could be cases where ice fishing is not illegal in Algonquin Park (assuming the ice is still around after trout opener) not that you'd want to be out on that thin ice anyway, but in theory, it's possible to ice fish in Algonquin without breaking the law.

9/11/2015 9:18 am  #4

Peek is bang on if I understand correctly, which I'm pretty confident I do. The regulated trout opener (or more correctly, the regulated end of the sanctuary closure) is unrelated to ice-out or the opening of interior camping. Fishing in Algonquin is allowed as of the 4th saturday in April, which is the same day brook/rainbow/brown trout season opens in southern FMZs like 16 and 17.

In fact, I heard a rumour a couple of years ago that people WERE ice fishing (legally) on Jack Lake I think it was, when the ice was still thick after opening day. Aside from that, even if the backcountry was closed until May 10 due to ice on lakes, nothing would stop you from shore fishing open bits of river that were road-accessible on the 4th saturday of April.

tl;dr: fishing will open April 23, camping permits not guarenteed.

9/11/2015 1:59 pm  #5

The dates for opening season are part of a province wide (divided by regions) fishing policy and has absolutely nothing to do with camp permit availability nor when Mother Nature makes the lakes blue again.

We're talking three different 'bosses' here - Ontario Parks, MNR and Mother Nature. As we all know, the two provincial agencies don't always work in tandem and MN has her own unique timetable!

9/12/2015 9:10 am  #6

For 40 years I've fished Algonquin park ( Achray Brent Kiosk ) and to the best of my knowledge it's always been the 3rd sat in april

9/12/2015 9:21 am  #7

4th Saturday, not 3rd.

From the Ontario Fishing Regulations Summary, page 70, "Exceptions to Zone 15 Regulations":

9/12/2015 9:35 am  #8

Your right Dan fat fingers I should edit befor I post

Shawn

9/20/2015 8:49 pm  #9

Guys, at times in the past the regs stated "last saturday in april". About 3-4 years ago when the mnr changed all the regs to be more simple across the province the wording was changed to '4th sat in April', as seen in the post above. Of course they know some years there are 5 saturdays, but that does not matter, its the 4th saturday.

Moonman.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.