You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/27/2017 7:17 pm  #1

Watch for Hikers

Does anyone use a gps watch??  I have researched them and don't know if I truly need a GPS watch, I like the idea of the compass and Barometer built in. I used my cell phone the last time I was backpacking but the battery doesn't last long enough. Thanks!!!!

6/28/2017 6:00 am  #2

Re: Watch for Hikers

No watch, no GPS, just a compass and map.  

You certainly don't TRULY NEED a GPS; you can use one if you want to carry the extra weight and if you cannot use a map and compass it would be a good idea to have something to navigate with.

6/28/2017 9:57 am  #3

If you're going to bring your phone anyway for other reasons (camera), maybe you don't need a GPS watch but a power bank for your cell? Would be cheaper.

At the same time you can save power if you put your phone on airplane mode (and turn off wifi), lower the screen brightness, close all applications and only turn the camera and GPS on when you need it. I get 2-3 days out of my cell battery when I do that, 5 to 6 with my power bank and you can get more with a power bank that holds multiple charges.

6/28/2017 8:04 pm  #4

You don't need a GPS if you have a compass and map but you certainly still need a compass and map if you are relying on a GPS. Old School is always the backup to any modern electronic gear.

Dave

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.