You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/11/2017 2:11 pm  #1

who is backpacking this summer?

the last post was about bugs...yes they are in Algonquin. I am interested in who is doing what trails this summer.  I am keen on getting out in the backcountry of Algonquin and I am curious about what other folks are doing? there is a part of the western uplands I have not done and hope to conquer that this season.  who am I gonna see on the trail?

6/11/2017 6:02 pm  #2

Re: who is backpacking this summer?

Family and I are doing 4 nights on the uplands trail in early July. We haven't decided on lakes yet. 

6/24/2017 4:20 pm  #3

Ive got the first week of October off. Planning to do the biggest loop of the Western Uplands, as i have yet to do it.

6/26/2017 5:02 pm  #4

No set plans yet, but will likely at least do a section of the WUT in the early fall. The upper loop via Rain Lake may be the ticket... Depending on how the summer goes, I may try and sneak a one or two night solo in at some point as well. We have a 6 day canoe trip planned next week in the northwest area of the park for something different. I haven't gone backcountry canoeing since the late 80's, so I'm quite excited!

Happy Hiking,

Rich

6/27/2017 7:19 pm  #5

I am  

My teen wants to join me this time. I hear the bugs are horrendous though  

My friend came back from canoeing and her face was all covered in bites from no seeums!

6/27/2017 9:45 pm  #6

My preferred routine is a Spring backpacking trip in late April or early May, before the bugs start. Then I'll lay low for June and July to avoid the worst of the bugs before reemerging to get a canoe trip in each of August, September and October.  I tend not to backpack during the hotter months preferring to wait until late September, October and, in more recent years, November.
This year I hope to redo the upper loop of the WUT and maybe the 2nd loop as well. That is the one section I have yet to try. 

Dave

6/29/2017 5:58 am  #7

Right now I'm aiming for mid-September. Will likely book a Friday off work, hike on the Highland into Provoking and set up base camp for the weekend, or if I'm feeling more energetic head to Ramona on the Western Uplands. I don't have enough vacation time to book a couple of more days and do a loop

Tracy

6/29/2017 7:26 am  #8

Blobsquatch wrote:

Right now I'm aiming for mid-September. Will likely book a Friday off work, hike on the Highland into Provoking and set up base camp for the weekend, or if I'm feeling more energetic head to Ramona on the Western Uplands. I don't have enough vacation time to book a couple of more days and do a loop

Tracy

Given those option, I'd choose Provoking. Ramona has never impressed me. Other options you may consider for a weekender:
Clockwise on the WUT to Maple Leaf (Pretty lake but feeling the pressure from constant traffic), Little Hardy (seclusion - only one site) or Maggie.
On the Highland, to Faya (also only one site) or Head Lakes both would be in range.

Dave

6/29/2017 4:33 pm  #9

Algonquintripper wrote:

This year I hope to redo the upper loop of the WUT and maybe the 2nd loop as well. That is the one section I have yet to try. 

Hey Dave,

If you do the 2nd loop, I would highly recommend planning a stay at Clara Lake. It's a beautiful spot, and pure bliss in terms of solitude. There's a portage near the site, but I have never encountered a single person in the 3 times I've camped there. On the east side of the 2nd loop, I've camped at the southern site at Susan Lake. The lookout is very close by, and it's a great place to soak in the surroundings.

Cheers,

Rich

6/29/2017 9:03 pm  #10

hiker72 wrote:

Algonquintripper wrote:

Hey Dave,

If you do the 2nd loop, I would highly recommend planning a stay at Clara Lake. It's a beautiful spot, and pure bliss in terms of solitude. There's a portage near the site, but I have never encountered a single person in the 3 times I've camped there. On the east side of the 2nd loop, I've camped at the southern site at Susan Lake. The lookout is very close by, and it's a great place to soak in the surroundings.

Cheers,

Rich

Thanks, I'll make a note.

Dave

6/30/2017 5:36 am  #11

Algonquintripper wrote:

Blobsquatch wrote:

Tracy

Given those option, I'd choose Provoking. Ramona has never impressed me. Other options you may consider for a weekender:
Clockwise on the WUT to Maple Leaf (Pretty lake but feeling the pressure from constant traffic), Little Hardy (seclusion - only one site) or Maggie.
On the Highland, to Faya (also only one site) or Head Lakes both would be in range.

Thank you for the suggestions, Dave! I'm going to carefully consider those options before booking sites. On the topic of site bookings, they filled up fast last year so if anyone is going, make sure you book well in advance.

Tracy

7/22/2017 6:49 pm  #12

Algonquintripper I agree with you about Ramona.  Those sites are really not much to write home about.  I split my site and had my tent up by the trail, and had my cooking area and tarp by the waterfront.  the amount of mud and blow downs (trees) I encountered were beyond what I have seen before.  it was of course manageable but tricky cause I fly solo and am a small woman (therefore climbing over fallen trees is somewhat delicate).  a part of the "walkover bridge" at hardy lake is gone and I was knee deep to make a successful crossing.  I guess that is all a part of the journey and a story to tell someone when you make it out.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.