You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/15/2017 8:53 am  #1

Radios in the Park

Hi all,

I know radios aren't technically allowed in the park, but is there any way to get radio reception in the backcountry? I plan on bringing my headphones and listening to the sens game this weekend, I don't see it being a problem as long as headphones are worn. Definitely did not expect them to be this far in the playoffs when I booked the trip in february!

Cheers,

Lenny

5/15/2017 8:58 am  #2

Re: Radios in the Park

I always bring in a small radio especially for weather forecasts.  I had one in at North River recently and reception was not GREAT.  I did manage to get FM North Bay 101.9 ROCK on my small radio.  Sports came on every morning around 6:30 a.m.  As for AM stations, I could only get them around 3 AM or so in the morning while figuring what else to do with my enormous time in the tent.

Also, my little radio also has 6 bands of short wave on it.

Last edited by boknows (5/15/2017 8:58 am)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

5/15/2017 9:00 am  #3

Nice meeting you Lenny during a tumultuous thunderstorm on North River Lake.

5/15/2017 10:26 am  #4

Where are you headed in the park? (I have no answer but I am curious to try googling coverage areas for specific stations)

5/15/2017 10:51 am  #5

i remember some twenty years ago camped on dickson lake,,,radio on,,with a fire going listening to "c.f.r.b." toronto. the radio host was "john oakley" and his special guest was "red green"
 it does`t get any better than that!!

Last edited by swedish pimple (5/15/2017 10:51 am)

5/16/2017 6:26 am  #6

Lenny wrote:

Hi all,

I know radios aren't technically allowed in the park, but is there any way to get radio reception in the backcountry? I plan on bringing my headphones and listening to the sens game this weekend, I don't see it being a problem as long as headphones are worn. Definitely did not expect them to be this far in the playoffs when I booked the trip in february!

Cheers,

Lenny

One time on White Partridge Lake, we hung a long wire to the top of a tree to get reception.....not for a radio.....but for our TV.....watched a Toronto Maple Leafs hockey game.....I am sure it would work for a radio too....but be very careful should you decide to do this.

5/18/2017 10:08 am  #7

Hi Lenny

I always bring a small radio when I go back country I think it would be careless not to not for music per-say or Sens games but just for weather reports or other reports such  fire reports within the park but if you are in ear shot of some Leaf fans turn it up as loud as you can so they can hear what it's like to have a real NHL team lol have a great trip 

5/19/2017 10:42 am  #8

I can't think of a more Canadian discussion than this. Be sure to enjoy the game while feasting on something smothered in maple syrup and watching a beaver swim by. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.