You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2017 7:38 am  #1

Daughter trip in july14th

Finally secure vacation time for canoeing with my daughter this summer.  We will be going up Friday morning the 14th.  At this time I am planning to be paddling the Friday, Saturday and coming out on Sunday.  I would normally stop at Algonquin Outfitters outside the Park to pick up our rental canoe.  I maybe would be able to add Monday if seriously need it, although it would not be my first option.
Any suggestion route.

If you think crowd will be a issue, I would be willing to pay extra and get taxi at Opeongo Lake if this will help for crowd control.

Looking forward to hear your suggestion.
Sebastien

4/21/2017 8:05 am  #2

Re: Daughter trip in july14th

inbox message sent

4/22/2017 4:04 pm  #3

If you're trying to avoid crowds, you'd be best off planning a route that doesn't start from a Highway 60 access point. There are outfitters near all areas of the park that you can stop at, or even have them deliver the canoe to the access point.

But we'd have to know your tripping priorities preferred level of effort to recommend specific routes...

4/22/2017 4:15 pm  #4

At that time of year when bass are in season if you wish, I would take Rain Lake access to explore the lakes in that area.  Many nice campsites once you leave Rain Lake on other small lakes in the area.  If not fishing,
​another really nice loop is from Kiosk.....Kioshkokwi to Mink to Club to Waterclear to Whitebirch....can do it in a day....but for 3 days....easy....lots of relics from days gone by to see.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/22/2017 7:44 pm  #5

You did not provide a lot of information. Is your daughter of an age that she can be counted as a full paddler, or still at a younger age? Is portaging an issue for her? Can she hold her own on a trip or is dad doing most of it? What would she like to do on a trip? Fish? Swim? Paddle all day?
My daughter and I went to Big Crow  and Hailstorm creek on  the way back last year, and it was a great trip for us. We took the taxi up, and back down from hailstorm, just because opeongo is so big and we did not want to take the chance we'd get blown off the water by strong winds.
That is a fairly busy route, but we did not mind as the campsites were a distance apart in most cases. We're avid swimmers and paddlers as well as hikers and had a great time.

4/23/2017 4:11 am  #6

tentsterforever wrote:

You did not provide a lot of information. Is your daughter of an age that she can be counted as a full paddler, or still at a younger age? Is portaging an issue for her? Can she hold her own on a trip or is dad doing most of it? What would she like to do on a trip? Fish? Swim? Paddle all day?
My daughter and I went to Big Crow and Hailstorm creek on the way back last year, and it was a great trip for us. We took the taxi up, and back down from hailstorm, just because opeongo is so big and we did not want to take the chance we'd get blown off the water by strong winds.
That is a fairly busy route, but we did not mind as the campsites were a distance apart in most cases. We're avid swimmers and paddlers as well as hikers and had a great time.

When I looked at his moniker, his daughter looked like she was at least a teenager??????  Maybe not????

4/25/2017 6:53 am  #7

My daughter is 15 1/2.  Good paddler, she started her first trip when she was 7.  She has a week long camp canoeing and received good comment from organizer about her paddling skill and her attitudes.  Personally she can paddle for full day and be happy.  We travel light and portaging would not be a issue.   She also like fishing and find enjoyment in it.  Total opposite to her sister (this is why we are doing "Father and Daughter" trip this year.  I will be mountain biking with my second daughter). 

I will look in Boknows suggestion for rain lake.  As long as we can get easy access to canoe rental and get our permit.  I find the suggestion of staying away from Highway 60 a good one.

Any other information needed let me know. We will be driving from Cambridge area.
Thanks
Sebastien

Last edited by Sebastien (4/26/2017 10:19 am)

4/25/2017 4:56 pm  #8

The one other piece of information to add is whereabouts you live, since different parts of the park might make a big difference in distance from you.

Easy access to rental and permit is pretty much a non-issue wherever in Algonquin you go unless it's some remote unofficial access point on adjacent crown land or something.

You could consider the Kingscote to Benoir route. Pine Grove Point offers an inexpensive shuttle between the two ends along with canoe rental and delivery. Not a lot of travel for 3 days, but not totally easy either with some longer portages, and with highlights like the Scorch Lake lookout trail, High Falls on the way down the York River, and lots of good bass fishing for summer.

There are also bass in the big lakes from Kawawaymog to Kiosk and some of the surrounding ones, and there are some longer loops available in that area.

The Booth Lake area is fun to fish in the summer cause there are pike there unlike most of the park. No obvious 3-day loops though.

5/13/2017 6:04 pm  #9

I have decided a few things so far, I know and am getting late and looking at booking this trip in the next few days.  So What I have so far is this.

We will be leaving Cambridge at about 6am on Friday morning mid July.  drive to Algonquin Outfitters in Huntsville for canoe rental pick up.  Drive to Access #3, Rain lake.  I guess we should be on the water by 11 or 12.  

Now this where you all,  point me in the right direction.  Should we paddle and find a site on Rain towards the East end set camp  or Sawyer Lake and stay at the same site for 2 nights and explore to Jubilee Lake or Rain Lake on Saturday and paddle around.  Possibly try some fishing.  Will leave camp Sunday to make the ride back.  

I am aware this a short trip.  I am not sure how busy it get on Rain lake during weekend.  We are not looking at setting record.  I think having some time paddling together, set up camp on Friday and explore the Saturday, paddling around and try to fish.  Looking at getting back not too late on Sunday.

I think We should set up camp maybe once, since it is a quick trip.  Weather we go as far as Sawyer or just stay on Rain lake towards the East end and paddle and portage a bit.  
I think this will be a good practice to see how our next trip would be,  how long we want to be away and figure how much paddling and portaging we want in our next trip.

Help me out.  I hope this make sense.
Sebastien

5/13/2017 9:41 pm  #10

Rain Lake is actually Access Point #4. If you think you can make it as far as Jubilee that's a very nice lake.

5/13/2017 9:59 pm  #11

Yeah I would go camp on Sawyer or Jubilee... heading a couple of ports in always makes it feel more secluded than camping on the access lake. Islet Lake would also be an option.

There are two outfitters in Kearney, Canoe Algonquin and Algonquin Basecamp. This is closer to Rain Lake than Huntsville and both can deliver canoes if you want so you don't have to worry about roof mounting it.

By the way... I notice now that after I asked where you were coming from you edited your previous post to add that information. Just so you know, editing a post doesn't create notifications for subscribers to the thread nor put the thread in the "active topics", so people probably didn't see the new info.

5/13/2017 10:19 pm  #12

You can always rent a canoe from Canoe Algonquin in the town of Kearney,Ont they also deliver canoes right to the entry points for an adittional cost.   The permit office for entry point 4 rain lake is also located in Kearney,Ont.   A great resource for trip planning would be to look at Jeff's Maps where you can find distances and time estimates for you trip.  I agree with John M Jubilee is a very nice lake.  If you do book the trip be sure to stop on the Island site on Rain L to check out an old fireplace that are the remains of an old cottage.  have fun!!

5/13/2017 10:41 pm  #13

I too too would agree with Jubilee Lake as your base camp.

5/14/2017 9:47 am  #14

Just booked campsite for Jubilee Lake.  Made reservation at Basecamp Adventure for 16' Souris River Quetico.

My daughter will be thrilled.
Thanks for your help all.
Sebastien

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.