You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/09/2017 5:26 pm  #1

Rain Lake

Planning to spend a night on Rain as part of a September trip. I recall having seen a site there with a chimney from a burned down cabin.
Doesn't exist or am I imagining it? Up until now I have only passed through Rain not really stopping to explore much. Are there any sites that particularly stand out for people? Not many listed on the PCI inventory.  Also any favorites on Misty?

Last edited by Shayne74 (5/09/2017 5:27 pm)

5/09/2017 6:08 pm  #2

Re: Rain Lake

I don't know much about the campsites on Rain Lake as, like you, I have only passed through.

As far as the chimney stack, I'm pretty sure it's on the western campsite on the long island. I know for sure it's on one of the two island sites, just can't fully remember which one. I'm 95% confident its the western site. Another area worth checking out is the clearing just west of the portage to McCraney (marked as 'Abandoned Thomas Lumber Co & Muskoka Wood Logging Camp' on Jeff's Map.

Misty has a lot of good sites, depends on what you like in a site but there's definitely something for everyone.

5/09/2017 6:50 pm  #3

It is in the spot Peek mention western campsite on the island. Its pretty cool but the campsite is wide open and it would be a good idea to bring an extra tarp for wind blockage. 

5/09/2017 7:45 pm  #4

Cool guys thanks.  Is the chimney used as the fire put for the site?

5/09/2017 8:45 pm  #5

Of the few sites I've stayed at on Misty I like the one on the point facing west into the main basin of the lake. The site due east of it (looks like southeast on maps that are oriented to the park's boundaries) is nice too and more private. From both of those sites I have seen moose in the marsh just east of the Muslim portage.

5/09/2017 10:48 pm  #6

the site with the chimney is the Southern site on the island in the North Bay of the Lake.
Do not think I would be building a fire in it, the last time I was by a couple of years ago it was showing the passage of time and looked like people had been taking bricks as souvenirs.
Had a conversation with Ralph Bice many years ago about this site and for the life of me can not fully remember, but pretty sure he mentioned that this may be all that is left of the family cottage on the Lake.
It is one of the more popular sites on the Lake and shows the wear.
The site on the North side of the island does not look like much from the water but is a big open site with not much shade. 

5/10/2017 8:27 am  #7

Site #1 (PCI numbering) on Misty has a fantastic swimming rock and a small beach that makes pulling in and unloading very easy. It's a little close to the Muslim portage if that bothers you. Don't remember much else since we just stopped for lunch.

5/13/2017 4:01 pm  #8

When I last past by the fireplace site in 2015 it looked solid and in good shape it also looked like it was used as the fire pit.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.