You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/05/2016 12:43 pm  #1

White Partridge Loop

Hi all,

Please let me know if you have any comments on the route I am looking to do next year: 

Day 1- Access from rail line A52 and portage to Petawawa River. Paddle/line up Petawawa to Crow River, camp at Long rapids on Crow River night 1
Day 2- Paddle and fish up Crow River to Lake Lavielle, camp on Lavielle
Day 3- Go through Lavielle and Dickson to White Partridge
Day 4- Rest day at White Partridge
Day 5- White Partridge-Petawawa Wagtail Raps
Day 6- Wagtail Raps-A52

Pros- Good fishing, not many portages (i line almost all rapids portages) 
Cons- White Partridge Creek sounds like hell, Lavielle to White Partridge is more portaging than I'd like

Last edited by Lenny (12/05/2016 1:10 pm)

12/05/2016 3:18 pm  #2

Re: White Partridge Loop

A great loop! Sounds really ambitious. Access A52, I have heard the road is rough but have no personal experience.

Day 1 - Seems doable! Tough call on lining or walking MacDonald Raps. Sorta depends on levels.
Day 2 - Good fishing! Again Lining the 2475 might be tough.
Day 3 - Might be a long day. The portages from Little Dickson to White Partridge are uphill and used to be horrible. They have been recently cleared and I have heard they are much better.
Day 4 - Nice place for a rest.
Day 5 - Might be a long day. White Partridge creek going downstream in the spring before the Alder is in is fine. Good flow. Certainly easier than going up the Crow.
Day 6 - Bottom site at Wagtail is a good one.

12/05/2016 3:18 pm  #3

Lenny,

Interesting route and do-able. Here are some comments:

1. Long Raps. Very very basic site, about 40ft away from the river, no real view. Just a tent pad and pit. If that suits your needs then go for it. If not, I'd either camp at Blueberry falls (the lower, unofficial site) or push on and camp at the forks. The site right at the forks is wild and remote, feels like a different park of Algonquin. To be fair though, the sites at the forks aren't that great either - but the above two choices are better than the one at long raps. Just my opinion. In fact, most sites along the entire crow river aren't that good - but the river is beautiful so it's worth it.

2. Lavieille is a beautiful lake. You may regret spending only one night there. Some great sites in the clusters of islands just west and below hayes point.

3. This will be a long day, but if you have a rest day (before or after) you'll be fine.

4. White Partridge is a pretty non-descript lake - Lavieille would be a better spot for a rest day, however that may mess with your logistics.

5. White Partridge Creek - oh she's not so bad! A buddy and I paddled the entire creek back in July 2014. Took about 4 hours from WP to The Forks. We continued to Wagtail Raps as you intend do to - it's doable, just leave early in case the creek is messed up.

6. Wagtail raps - shoot for the island campsite. Awesome, awesome campsite.

Curious - what makes you think white partridge creek sounds like hell?  We we're weary at the time as well, but more due to the very limited information on it.

You'll have an awesome trip. And you can skip 4 or 5 of the portages between the Pet and Lavieille if you don't mind river walking.. (which if I remember our run-in on Carcajou Creek a few years back - you are all about the creek walking!! )

12/05/2016 4:20 pm  #4

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply. We did the route you suggested Canada Day weekend this year (Cedar-Catfish-Robinson-Nipissing) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have taken that road before and it was nothing my Honda Civic couldn't handle. Day 3 definitely 

Peek,

Great suggestion about the Forks. Looks like it could be a good fishing spot as well. Not keen on Blueberry Falls as I don't think there are any trout. Lavielle is gorgeous, but I hold a grudge as we had tough fishing there last time. It's a shame Hardy Bay and Dickson will likely have an algal bloom again. I was hoping to do two days at White Partridge because of the allegedly epic fishing. This video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnzemr4ymKg) is what made me think that White Partridge Creek is brutal. I really don't like Alder Spiders. Good to know about Wagtail Raps! 

Thanks guys! I'm glad to hear that it isn't too ambitious as long as the water isn't too low. 

Last edited by Lenny (12/05/2016 4:20 pm)

12/05/2016 4:49 pm  #5

I've looked at similar loops and usually landed on two distinct different options:

1. Start at Opeongo, water taxi to Wright Lake and spend the day traveling to Little Dickson.  Day 2 on White Partridge.  Day 3 on Forks, Lavaque or Mallic.  Day 4 and 5 on Lavieille.  Day 6 on Dickson or Wright.

2. Start at A52 and go to Eustache - fish the lake and scout for an overland bushwhack route to the forks.  Day 2 bushwhack to the forks and stay at Lavaque or Mallic.  The remainder of your trip as you describe looping through Lavieille, Dickson and White Partridge.

I like the first one because when fishing is the objective I don't like doing long travel days.  In spite of fishing on virtually every step of the route, we never seem to find enough time to hit areas good and hard since we are breaking/making camp every darned day which just eats time.  The shorter distances traveled each day allow for a lot of fishing time and experience without the pressure to go-go-go.

We actually do more base camping because of that - kill ourselves to get somewhere like Lavieille in one day and then do long day trips where we cook our big meal around noon on some distant campsite that took 5 or 6 hours to get to (fishing all the way there) and then fish our way back to our base site.  This way you lose no time to making/breaking camp but get to do an exceptional amount of exploring and fishing - especially at the best time of day for trout - in very early morning and late evening.

We also try to incorporate river/stream fishing in each trip - it helps make you feel better because you almost always catch trout (although smaller ones) compared to some challenging lake fishing.  Depth maps help tremendously to find the right underwater topography and drop-offs to troll over or fish on top of.

12/05/2016 5:12 pm  #6

Hi PaPaddler,

1. I thought about Opeongo but figured the Petawawa would be more productive for fishing. Also, living in Ottawa the drive to A52and Opeongo is similar. 
2. Have you done this before? I did it from Wagtail to the Forks without a canoe and would never do it again and wouldn't recommend it. That area is in somewhat of an odd area from glaciation and there are huge boulders and lots of elevation changes. I returned home pretty beat up. 

I like the base camping idea. The more I think about it, base camping somewhere along the Crow would be a good idea. Stretches like the 2.4km portage have a ton of good water, especially as a flyfisherman. The other side of me is always motivated to keep moving. 

12/05/2016 9:23 pm  #7

Cool I've always wanted to go to Wagtail. Might be a good winter camping spot.

12/05/2016 10:34 pm  #8

Wagtail was nothing special, Eustache is way nicer. To me the no ice fishing in Algonquin is a deal breaker for backcountry camping.

12/06/2016 6:37 am  #9

Thanks! Good to know.

12/06/2016 6:50 am  #10

Hi Lenny,
No, I never did the bushwhack to the forks...just hypothesized.  I know the challenges of bushwhacking and compare the relatively short distance (2 km) of that bushwhack to a full day of paddle/portage and figured that they would roughly be equal in time.  Not to insinuate that it would be easy...although it would be more manageable with two folks and potentially leap-frogging with the canoe and packs throughout the day.  

I have focused on a route that would head southwest from the western end of Eustache and then a turn to the south towards Peek's Lake to circumvent the large hill.  Then turning WSW to finish out the shortcut and hope to hit White Partridge Creek just upstream of the forks north of the swampy lowlands that border its eastern shoreline.

We've done base camps on Lavieille and on Red Pine Bay - both of them give good options for accessing various bodies of water.  I don't know that you would have the same number of options along the Crow (either go upstream or downstream!) but it does free up a lot more fishing time and also satisfies the wanderlust since you are traveling every day!

12/06/2016 9:53 am  #11

there is road access into w.p. 
     the fish`n may not be a good as you think? also motors are allowed on the lake.
   good luck 

12/06/2016 10:43 am  #12

Unless someone can confirm otherwise, that road has been blocked for many years.

12/06/2016 10:53 am  #13

It is my understanding that the road is now clear, but of course it would be best to confirm with Algonquin HQ for the final word.

Last edited by Peek (12/06/2016 1:25 pm)

12/06/2016 11:32 am  #14

Papaddler- That would be the best way to go. You're right it would be a similar amount of time. You're right that it doesn't allow for the same kind of options, the bugs are likely way worse on the Crow too! 

12/06/2016 12:30 pm  #15

Hi Lenny,

We haven't run into any substantial bug problems through nearly all of the May trips we have done.  That being said, we usually go the second or third week of May and we occasionally have run into some pesky black flies but not hoards of them that I've heard of later in May or early June.  Obviously you can get a warm snap and have a good hatch but we always bring along DEET and have only had isolated times where it was truly needed - and those were generally short-lived.

We were more bothered by mosquitoes at dusk in August than anything we've hit in May.  I like the fact that many folks are deeply concerned with bugs in May...it keeps some folks away and leaves more fish for us!

Also, while it is not my position to impart my beliefs on others (but that never stopped me before!!) I will politely ask that you practice catch-and-release with the speckled trout you come across.  The occasional shore lunch is fine (and most long-distance trippers such as yourself don't take any more than that) but it just helps to maintain a healthy fishery to limit the harvest.  We also pinch the barbs on all of our hooks to reduce trauma and speed the release process.  Thanks for considering!

12/06/2016 1:19 pm  #16

That's interesting, and I would agree that most may 24 trips have been far less buggy than Canada Day weekend trips. I usually like to keep one fish a day but let all the big (14+) inchers go and like the 10-12 inchers the best. The 5 per person per day limit (w/ sport license) of brook trout is archaic and unsustainable in my mind, and is likely why the only good natural (not stocked) trout fishing is in the interior. I also fish single barbless, size 8 muddler minnows are my favourite fly for the park. Still figuring out how to catch lake trout consistently, but have a short attention span for trolling.  

12/07/2016 7:29 am  #17

Somewhat off topic, but on our way out of Travers this fall we filed in behind 3 trucks pulling a hay wagon, horse trailer, and boats/canoes, that just turned on from the W.P. access road, so I'm pretty sure it's fully open for business.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.