You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2015 7:07 pm  #1

Backcountry Camping in November?

Hey!

Can we still go canoe camping in Noveber??

If so, how do we go about reserving, and do you know any canoe rental store open in November?

Thank you!

8/24/2015 7:56 pm  #2

Re: Backcountry Camping in November?

You certainly don't need an interior reservation for November!  The only places you could get an interior permit in person would be the East or West gate.   If you want to start your trip at some place other than the highway 60 corridor you should be able to phone the office at the West gate to get a permit.

Canoe rental is more challenging as many outfitters shutdown after Thanksgiving weekend.  Obviously, canoeing in November poses a much higher risk level than in the summer so outfitters are going to be much more careful at screening anyone asking to rent a canoe.  Algonquin Outfitters would be a good place to try as their Oxtongue lake store is open year round.

It's been a while since I've done a canoe trip in November.   With good weather conditions it can be a great experience.  You have to consider ice conditions -- in some years canoe routes may be partially iced over before the end of November making them unusable.

8/24/2015 8:00 pm  #3

The "can" will depend on ice conditions that year. You can't make reservations during that season even if you wanted to, but the same permit system as summer applies. I've never been that late but I have been after thanksgiving and didn't have a problem renting a canoe.

8/25/2015 7:54 am  #4

Thanks for your help guys! Looks like we're heading out on October 8th and back on Monday October 12th! Can't wait to get back to AP!

Last edited by MatteoP (8/25/2015 7:54 am)

8/25/2015 8:40 am  #5

You can go backcountry camping all year round in Algonquin Park.

Finding a place to park your vehicle is a major problem, though, once the snow has fallen.

Permits are still required.

Procedures for permits and registration differ during Algonquin's winter period (Canadian Thanksgiving to the last Friday in April).

Winter in Algonquin Park
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/general_park_info/winter-in-algonquin-park.php

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/pdf/winter_guide_algonquin_park.pdf

Barbara

Last edited by Barbara (8/25/2015 9:41 am)

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

8/25/2015 11:07 am  #6

We do a yearly trip in mid November, around Rememberance Day. I have never made a reservation, and never needed one. Just picked up the permits at the East Gate on my way in. The park is empty, even the most popular spots along the 60 are empty (last year we saw nobody for 4 days...Canoe Lake to Tom Thomson and back).

Somebody mentioned ice...the lakes are not yet covered, but small bays, ponds, puddles, portages etc... are.

Last edited by APPaul (8/25/2015 11:11 am)

8/25/2015 11:23 am  #7

Procedures for permits and registration differ during Algonquin's winter period (Canadian Thanksgiving to the last Friday in April).

Just want to clarify... yes the above is true but they also differ a lot between different parts of that time period. From Thanksgiving until December 1, the permit procedure is basically as in summer except that there are no advance reservations and fewer permit offices are open. From December 1 to March 31, "winter camping" protocol is in force in the backcountry -- you have to make camp away from signed campsites, shorelines and trails, and permits are not area-specific, though you're expected to let the park know roughly where you'll be. Between March 31 and the last friday of April I'm not entirely sure.

When I say "from December 1 to March 31", I'm getting those days from Ontario Regulation 347/07; I don't know if maybe the park varies those dates according to snow/ice conditions?

8/25/2015 1:01 pm  #8

DanPM wrote:

Just want to clarify... yes the above is true but they also differ a lot between different parts of that time period. From Thanksgiving until December 1, the permit procedure is basically as in summer except that there are no advance reservations and fewer permit offices are open. From December 1 to March 31, "winter camping" protocol is in force in the backcountry -- you have to make camp away from signed campsites, shorelines and trails, and permits are not area-specific, though you're expected to let the park know roughly where you'll be. Between March 31 and the last friday of April I'm not entirely sure.

When I say "from December 1 to March 31", I'm getting those days from Ontario Regulation 347/07; I don't know if maybe the park varies those dates according to snow/ice conditions?

What I posted in quotes is a direct copy&paste from the Algonquin Park website.  That text is included in the page I linked to: http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/general_park_info/winter-in-algonquin-park.php

So the "Canadian Thanksgiving to the last Friday in April" applies directly, and perhaps only, to Algonquin Park.

Most of the backcountry access offices close around the Canadian Thanksgiving period, so permits are available as outlined on that page from the Algonquin Park website.

Information about where to camp in Algonquin Park in the winter is on that page and in the pdf I linked to.

Barbara

Last edited by Barbara (8/25/2015 1:05 pm)

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

8/25/2015 1:31 pm  #9

Oh I know, it's just that the text on the park website leaves out info about the distinction between Oct-Nov and Dec-Mar. Not just in the line you quoted but in the text that follows... it seems to describe the late fall situation (no reservations) and then jump into winter camping rules in the next paragraph off-site camping, etc) without specifying the difference or the December 1 date. The section of O. Reg. 347/07 that sets the Dec 1 - March 31 timeframe for off-site camping applies specifically to Algonquin and Kawartha Highlands Provincial Parks: http://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/070347#BK22

I have gone on canoe trips in late October in which I picked up permits at the Kearney permit office, so the east and west gates certainly aren't the only permit offices available (unless there's been a recent change).

8/25/2015 4:50 pm  #10

Thanks for the links Barabara. Hadn't seen that PDF before. 

8/25/2015 11:41 pm  #11

The short answer. if the water is still soft then yes you can still canoe and camp on a normal site and the Park will issue a permit.
I know that Algonquin Outfitters at Oxtounge Lake is open year round and will rent canoes, not sure about Opeongo Outfitters or Algonquin Bound but if you are coming from the East it might be worth a phone call.

My personal experience has been that after the Offices (other than the East and West Gate) close the day following Thanksgiving you have 2 options to aquire your permit.
1) Purchase from either gate during normal hours.
2) Call the Park with a credit card and purchase it over the phone, writing the required information down and clearly displaying it through your vehicle windsheild.
They will issue you a permit by phone if you are entering through an access other than Highway 60 and if you mention that you will not be arriving until around 5PM (after the office is closed) they will also issue a permit for along 60.
As for dates as to when winter camping rules apply, my personal experience has been that it is based more on water conditions than the dates mentioned on the website
If the water is soft then you are camping on a standard site. Water hard and Winter rules apply.
As we saw this yerar, Spring is a complete different set of "Rules" with permit offices opening for Trout season or the ice is off the Lakes, whichever comes later.

8/27/2015 6:37 am  #12

Every time I have passed Opeongo Outfitters in November/winter they are closed.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.