You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/08/2016 10:43 pm  #1

Can I still call it the Brent Run?

I know that there that there are record setting runs. But we are doing this run in a "vacation style". We are going to do this in 7 days.  How  many of you would still considerate this the Brent Run???

7/09/2016 7:06 am  #2

Re: Can I still call it the Brent Run?

Perhaps to be honest you would call it "the slowest Brent Run ever".

The Brent Run is more than the route. It's the speed.  https://brentrun.me/what-is-the-brent-run/

To say that you "did the Brent Run" implies that you attempted the route in the quickest time possible. You're just doing a normal canoe route.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

7/09/2016 8:58 am  #3

As long as you follow the rules it doesn't matter how long you take. Using a cedar strip is mandatory to be considered an official Brent run and sticking to the exact route. The cedar strip is the sticking point for most.

7/09/2016 12:53 pm  #4

I agree with Barbara. The Brent Run is an endurance race. If you are not running you are not doing the Brent Run.

7/09/2016 3:14 pm  #5

MartinG agreed with me?  Could someone please mark a red X on the wall?

j/k for those folks who might not know...

Here's a thought..how often has a cedar strip canoe been involved in recent times?  Did Markus and the gang have a cedar strip canoe?

Really, I think calling a 7-day trip a "run" of any sort is somewhat silly, no?  C'mon.

Barbara

Last edited by Barbara (7/09/2016 3:15 pm)

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

7/09/2016 6:20 pm  #6

Brent Crawl?

7/09/2016 8:34 pm  #7

I would call it th Brent Run no matter the speed - to me it is a route in the park - Kevin C calls it the Brent Run in his book and recommends 8-10 days suggesting with humour not to expect a crowd cheering after doing it in the worst time in history.

Last edited by ChristineCanoes (7/09/2016 8:35 pm)

7/10/2016 9:16 pm  #8

I agree with ChristineCanoes.  Who cares how long it takes, as long as you do it.  The Brent Crawl...that's funny though. 

12/18/2016 12:31 pm  #9

I was late cluing-in to this video of some old friends doing the "Brent Run" this June .. Mike Burns, Sean Rowley, Mark Rubino and Scott Rogers ... https://youtu.be/TiGgcwU0XOc

12/18/2016 6:19 pm  #10

i have a "chestnut" cedar  strip. i could qualify. is there a time span given for "the brent run"  anywhere  for a solo paddler over 55 years old?  very tempting. chuckle,chuckle

12/18/2016 6:47 pm  #11

I have a 35lb solo! But even that won't help my 'pushing-70' old bones! I got sore just watching that video.

12/18/2016 10:18 pm  #12

The Brent Run is done there and back as fast as you can. Doing it any other way is a canoe trip.

12/20/2016 3:54 pm  #13

Andy W wrote:

Brent Crawl?

I loled at this. 

Good luck with the trip, whether you call it a Brent Run or not that's a great paddle.

12/22/2016 10:48 pm  #14

by reading these posts it seems that there has no one that has done the Brent Run (in record time) has responded in great offense to what the first guy (clarkey71) posted.  I stand by my first response in who cares how long it takes just as long as you do it.  time off work to go on a adventure in Algonquin should not be a race or a competition...take it in and enjoy it.  i'm sure the good people up in Brent aren't gonna turn you away or make fun of you because you didn't make it there in record time.

12/23/2016 7:45 am  #15

I watched the video and it was very impressive!! 160km in 40 hours!!! Their stamina and perseverance are awe inspiring!! 
However I prefer to enjoy the quieter moments in the park, and while "getting there" is half the fun the other half is "being there".. . . . . . . .  Just my personal preference.
Maybe 20 years ago I would've been up to the challenge. . . . . . . .  then again maybe not!!
I say take your time and enjoy the fantastic feeling of being in the park!!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.