You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2016 6:55 am  #1

Dickson and hardy bay still closed for algae

Just got back from a trip and Dickson has the same bluegreen algae from the last couple years. It is closed to overnight camping.

Same for hardy bay. Lavieille is okay for now.

5/11/2016 7:08 am  #2

Re: Dickson and hardy bay still closed for algae

Did you see it yourself or hear from staff? Do you know if the lake is literally still in bloom, or they're just concerned about leftovers from last summer? Kurt is asking here: http://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=537

5/11/2016 8:32 am  #3

From the Park's website

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/algonquin_park_advisories.php

Hardy Bay of Lake Lavieille Closed to Overnight Camping

Ontario Parks is reporting that campsites on Hardy Bay of Lake Lavieille are closed to overnight camping as a result of public health concerns. Information provided by The Friends of Algonquin Park via www.algonquinpark.on.ca

Dickson Lake Closed to Overnight Camping

Ontario Parks is reporting that campsites on Dickson Lake are closed to overnight camping as a result of public health concerns. Information provided by The Friends of Algonquin Park via www.algonquinpark.on.ca

Last edited by Barbara (5/11/2016 8:33 am)

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

5/11/2016 12:02 pm  #4

It was visibly blue-green pea soup coloured.

5/11/2016 12:24 pm  #5

Damn what a shame. It's time to kill all of those cormorants. If they need any volunteers I'd be happy to help.

2/19/2017 2:59 pm  #6

Interesting...you think its due to the cormorants? Had not considered that.

2/19/2017 5:09 pm  #7

according to my sources from inside da park. the sediments for causing this  blue/green algae bloom have been on the bottom of the lake for centuries or more.  what has  triggered the sediment release is the mystery. a outside company, group,  is studying the problem trying to figure out why this has happened. i was also told that it is believed that the lake will never fully recovery. a corner stone lake in da park lost! 
       i also believe that "lake winnipeg" / lake of da woods,, is going through this same problem of huge blue/ green algae blooms.  big enough to monitor from a satellite. i saw this on the "nature of thangs" c.b.c. program. real news program not alternative fact stuff.
         have a nice long weekend

Last edited by swedish pimple (2/19/2017 5:14 pm)

2/19/2017 5:12 pm  #8

Sad. I've got very fond memories of laveille and Dickson.

2/19/2017 9:28 pm  #9

Lavieille itself hasn't been closed, just Hardy's Bay at the far south end of it. But still... thinking I might plan a route through Lavieille soon, just in case!

2/19/2017 10:15 pm  #10

Not sure if they reopened laveille but both Dickson & laveille were closed for camping and travel.

2/20/2017 9:07 am  #11

Lavieille was never shut down to my knowledge. The bloom extended into Hardy's Bay at the south end of Lavieille, but the rest of the lake was fine. I actually had a couple of nights booked on Lavieille for last September but wasn't able to go due to an injury. 

2/20/2017 11:27 am  #12

ryan lake was closed as well, blue green algae!!
 i am not sure of the present status?

2/20/2017 11:28 am  #13

You're probably right. I recall it just being the south end of laveille and all of Dickson and Ryan.

2/20/2017 2:59 pm  #14

The lakes were open to travel, but closed to camping (Dickson & Hardy Bay). I camped on Lavieille for 4 nights over two separate trips last year. The upper portion of the lake was fine, but one of those trips our route took us down through Hardy Bay and into Dickson to the D-B portage. The water wasn't a goopy as I thought it would be but it was very evident there was something wrong. I also travelled through Ryan in October and couldn't tell there was anything wrong with the lake.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.