You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2016 9:29 pm  #1

What's up with Dickson Lake?

Suddenly the park has a "no camping" ban in effect for Dickson and Hardy's Bay, when I called all I got was "because of the blue-green algae".  Is this because of the remains of last fall's bloom? It's way too early for another bloom....Does anyone have additional info on this??

5/11/2016 6:56 am  #2

Re: What's up with Dickson Lake?

I was just thinking that the other day Kurt that it was too early since the ice has only been off for a week and half and it hasn't been warm enough yet.  I went through Dickson last year the first week of June and it was clear and then a couple of weeks later the bloom reappeared.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

5/11/2016 7:08 am  #3

I'm very curious as to what, if anything, can or is being done. Its such a strange phenomenon to occur in a relatively remote location like Dickson lake. I hope a cause is eventually pinpointed but am guessing it is already effecting the fish.

5/11/2016 12:01 pm  #4

Hey everybody,  The water was still pea soup coloured. You could see the changed when paddling into Hardy bay from Lavieille.

Last edited by holycow (5/11/2016 12:03 pm)

5/14/2016 5:18 pm  #5

What a shame, Dickson lake is one of my favorite lakes I love the forests and rolling hills there. Hopefully this isn't the new normal, me and I'm sure a lot of others spent their first ever spring Trout trips on Dickson hopefully it isn't permanent.

5/14/2016 6:34 pm  #6

It doesn't appear to be blooming right now. It doesn't look like the thick pea soup and globules from the last couple of summers. This video was taken on Monday. It appears to be suspended sediment from last years bloom. I spoke with a number people who have been through and it doesn't appear to be affecting fish behaviour. The long term effect on their organs and reproduction is in question.

5/22/2016 7:55 am  #7

Yeah we were in there last week too and although there was a colour change, it didn't seem to be affecting the fish in any noticeable way. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.