You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/16/2016 2:59 pm  #35

Re: Bug Report

I used permethrin last year on a June trip. I thought it worked well. I didn't get bites through clothing but it also didn't provide any protection to open skin (not that I expected that).

Where did you buy it in Canada?

5/16/2016 3:20 pm  #36

Not sure you can. Picked some up while visiting the US last summer.  
Also ordered some ExOfficio BugsAway clothing. My buddy was wearing it last June and they left him alone. Me, not so much...

5/16/2016 3:48 pm  #37

Bought the Sawyer .5% permethrin in the States.

You can buy 10% on Amazon.ca and just dilute it down to .5%

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/16/2016 4:37 pm  #38

Where you headed Shawnd?  We are putting at rock lake Friday morning.

5/16/2016 6:30 pm  #39

Ohh not very far for me Shayne. Taking the whole family into Little Eagle for the long weekend. Keeping it nice and short. My wife has a new paddleboard she wants to try out.

Will spray everyone's outfits. Don't want to hear any complaining.

Last edited by ShawnD (5/16/2016 6:31 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/16/2016 9:28 pm  #40

I hear ya.
Taking 4 kids in to clydegale  for 3 nights. Have fun!. Weather looks cooperative.

5/30/2016 9:38 am  #41

Likely heading into the Park this upcoming weekend. Anyone been there recently and can report on the bug situation? The Weather Network is reporting 'light' bug activity but something tells me not to trust that indicator. 

5/30/2016 10:54 am  #42

One Whitney local described it this way, "Yesterday, May 30, the black flies and mosquitoes were at epic numbers. Every time the dogs went out and in and I had to pull out the vacuum as the blood-bloated vampires hung off the window panes by the thousands...The weather is perfect for bug reproduction. This is the worst I have experienced since being here."

5/30/2016 12:07 pm  #43

Wow. Thanks Martin. If that's 'light' bug activity then I'm afraid to see what the next level holds. Ha.

Past few years I keep saying to myself, "It can't be worse that last year" but somehow it always seems to be. 

Time to stock up on Thermacell packs and get a new electric bug racket for the inside of my tent. 

5/30/2016 3:49 pm  #44

Yup! The're bad! I was at Misty from Fri to Sun this weekend and they laid waste to my flesh. I only took a bug jacket because I'm not big on spraying pesticides on myself but I've been humbled by those tiny critters this past weekend and will be revisiting this thread on advise as to what spray to use. My bug jacket had my blood all over it. I couldn't open the zipper to eat or drink without a massive assault.

K

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

5/30/2016 5:50 pm  #45

Did long weekend at sec lake and bugs weren't to bad, just used good ol Vicks vapor rub and they left us alone, I hate spraying chemicals on myself!

Get out there and do it!!! Life's to short to wait!!

7/05/2017 7:22 am  #46

How do we expect them to be mid July, will I need to take blood transfusion supply for my dog.  I just pick up the Eureka mesh room and will work on getting it to work with my Kelty Noah tarp during the weekend. 

Update for West side of the Park would be appreciated.
Sebastien

7/06/2017 7:48 pm  #47

Spent the last 4 days in the Magnetewan/Bice/Mubwayaka area.  Ist day had consistent winds and bugs were 'minimal' for early July.  Next two nights were a nice combo of deer flies in the sun, mossy's in the shade, and black flies at dusk.

Not the worst I've seen in early July but the late black fly season was not expected.

7/07/2017 9:15 am  #48

I was out there Monday through Wednesday...black flies were almost gone except for about an hour around dusk but even then they weren't bad just annoying. A few deer flies and other ridiculously large buzzers that just seemed to want to circle the tower. Skeeters on the other hand...WOW!  I think I'm still hearing the hum.  They weren't always out but when they were it was like a cloud of them.  I brought two bug rackets to use in helping "clear" the tents...on the last morning I decided to tackle one of these skeeter clouds with both rackets in hand for fun...it was raining dead mossies and the air stank of something singed. 

7/07/2017 9:51 am  #49

i love the smell of burnt mosquitoes in the morning.

7/07/2017 10:13 am  #50

I just came out from 8 days in Algonquin Park and the bugs were RIDICULOUSLY TERRIBLE!!!!!

The rain was unbearable, but even on sunny days (yes there were some), you couldn't enjoy the sun in shorts, etc. without getting eaten alive.

Last edited by boknows (7/07/2017 10:15 am)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

7/07/2017 1:06 pm  #51

My wife and I just got back from a night at Bridle lake. The plan was to spend two nights there but the bugs drove us out. Things were looking alright until we hit the portage into Bridle. Although the portage was by far the worse, they stayed with us into the lake and campsite. After not even being able to sit around a campfire in the evening we decided to just pack it up early and try again in a month or two. I feel bad for bringing my wife on her first Algonquin trip when I knew there was a good chance the bugs would be horrid.

The good news is we had some beautiful canoeing on Farm Lake where there was enough of a breeze to drive the bugs away (except for the deer flies). Note to self to skip the tiny lakes that don't get much of a breeze during bug season. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.